April 04, 2008

DIY

Roots & those pesky loose ends

I've re-tightened my new growth and if you notice, the locks from the back to the middle of my head are smaller than the front which are a little larger. I don't mind though because it makes my tightening session in the front quicker. Coloring does expand the lock to a degree and as i've tightened my new growth, i've notice that it is skinnier in comparison to the rest of the lock, which is normal in my case. My tightening session is every 5 weeks using the nappylocks tool and working on sections at a time. At this pace, I can keep up with how quickly my hair grows and the time is shorter than if I wait an extra week or two. I still don't know the number of locks on my head but i'm satisfied with the size.
Coloring in the past caused some of my locks to unravel at the ends and bunch up with others. Every time I pulled my locks back, some of the ends would unravel even more because they were loose, so today I decided to fix this problem. I went through every lock and for the loose ones, I tied 2-3 knots at the end just to help seal them a little. I don't know why I never thought of this before but it just dawned on me today to try this and I think it's a great solution.
~
Reactions from friends:
For the last several months, i've had so many compliments from friends of mine, especially from guys. The most common comments I receive are:
1. I've never seen locks like yours before.
2. It's growing!
3. No matter how you fix your hair, it always looks good!
My guy friends usually reach for my locks without warning because they are so intrigued by them. It's interesting the kind of reactions people will give but I don't mind.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exactly did you tie the knots? Did you pull up or bunch the end before tying them? I have been having a similar problem with loose ends and this sounds like the perfect solution.
- CC.

dewdrop said...

@CC: I didn't do anything to the end when I started. All I did was just grab the tip and tie a knot (as if you would tie a knot with a rope or string) and then I rolled it back and forth between my fingers to avoid any stray hairs from sticking out. If you do this too, then the knot will look more like a ball than a knot.

Lakia said...

I just love the density of your hair. Keep us informed on how the locks that you tied a knot in progresses. I think that is something worh trying. My ends are all of the place. Some coiled some "S" shaped from an old dye job. I am not sure if my ends will ever seal because of my hair texture

Meikmeika said...

What an interesting idea...Your hair looks wonderful as usual. I'm so envious of your locks!! The color, fullness and styles you do are all so wonderful.

shavonne said...

Where did you buy your nappylocs tool? I was going to buy one from www.nappynhappy.com but the shopping cart on that website isn't secure.

dewdrop said...

@Shavonne: I purchased my tool from that site and I didn't have a problem. If you don't feel comfortable about their security, then you can always use Paypal I believe. Another alternative is to find someone who ordered the tool but doesn't want it anymore who could possible give it to you. Maybe a search on Np or Lock-It-Up will help you in that area.

SistaLocd said...

Hey your locks look wonderful as usual! I had to tie a few of my locks too ( majority in the front). I just got tired of them being loose all of the time and not locking so I made knots. At first I was scared, because I wasn't sure of the outcome but hey like your said it seems to be working. Thanks for the updates, and take care.

~malaikablu~ said...

Nice back shot! They are progressing very well and look nice and full. I have actually tied knots at the ends of a few of my locks in the back because the texture in that area is a lot looser and more curly. I think it's a great solution.

Naturally Sophia said...

I just love your hair, period

anthia said...

You have beautiful hair. You're doing a really good job maintaining them. That color is really something. I keep my eyes on hair like yours so I can stay focused and encouraged.
aka Ofo

cheleski68 said...

i love how you are a sl'er and EMBRACE DIY!!! how empowering to many out there that question if they can self maintain! i love your hair and the color and it IS amazing-i'd be touching it 2!lol!

QueenLi said...

Looks nice, Very Nice!!! :)
I love the curls in the previous post too! I have update pics that I will post sometime this week...

Take Care~

SisterlocksMD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SisterlocksMD said...

I'm getting SLs next month and was thinking about how cumbersome retightening must be, but you give me hope. Do you have to take the class to get the SL tool? I've noticed many with SL using the nappylocs tool even though there seems to be some implied SL rivalry from what I read on the nappylocs site. Is there really any difference? What's the beef?

dewdrop said...

@Chelsski68: Yes, part of it comes from a confidence to try new things regardless of the results. I've encountered a few SL-ers who feared messing up their locks or to have the idea of being a DIY w/out a class was taboo. LOL!

@SLMD: Yes, you do need to take the class in order to obtain their tools because they provide instructions on how to use them. I did not take the class nor use their tools. From my understanding, i've read about many SL-ers who prefer the NL tool because it's easier to use and less painful on their fingers as compared to other tools. To each her own. In all honestly, a tool is a tool, a lock is a lock, a rose is a rose. There may be a physical differece between tools and a methodolgy to how each tool is used but in the end, your locks are tightened and that's all that really matters. There is nothing new under the sun.

*Coop* said...

It's amazing to see the difference in locs for different hair textures! You and I are roughly the same age (Feb '07 for me), but your locs are much more mature than mine. Yours looked mature at 6 months!!
BEautiful hair. Great blog.