July 28, 2008

Messy Bun


Yesterday I had a house-warming party to attend and didn't know what to do with my locks. I didn't want them down because it was hot, and I didn't want a pony puff because it would flop, so I decided to do what I call a messy bun.

I loosely put my hair up in a lock puff using a hair band, then folded a second hair band over the puff (like when we use 2 scrunchies, one under the bun to get the donut shape, and then another one around it....same idea). Then I stuck two chopsticks in my hair to give it some pizazz and left a few locks hanging in the front and back. These photos (above) are from today.

Comparison: This messy bun (left side) is from yesterday--the day of the party-- and as you can see, it's a lot messier than today's bun (right side). I received a wonderful compliment from two friends and they really like the hanging locks around the edges. I personally like this style so much that I think i'll wear this more often than my high lock puff (which flops too much and rarely stays in place) because it's looser and stays in place without giving me a headache since i'm tender headed.

9 comments:

Queen Nat said...

I am really loving your blog! Your 4 month photos look like my hair today; thick, dense and no scalp in sight... I'm wondering if I should combine mine as well. Thanks for such a detailed blog!

Lalaboobaby said...

Thanks for posting a comment on my blog. I've been following your blog for a while now and your locks are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Your blog is a godsend! I have a question; I became a DIYer with the nappyloc tool, but I've noticed that the ends of my loc pattern where it meets the perm have loosened in some spots. It hasn't unraveled, but it's definately not as tight as the root pattern. Is this normal; if not, how do I fix it?

dewdrop said...

Expect that to happen just because of the difference in hair texture because you hair is fighting to mesh and coil while the permed hair resists. Also, becareful of styling your hair or pulling it up into one too often because that will also loosen the lock a bit.

You can fix this problem and if you look under my April 20th post "Fixing Bunched & Bumpy Locks"
http://kalia-dewdrop.blogspot.com/2008/04/fixing-bunched-and-bumpy-locks.html then it gives instructions.

Blqberrylocz said...

Your locs are looking GOOD!!! I like the color too...if you haven't visited my blog recently, I colored/highlighted my locks, but now only after 3 months am considering going back to dk brown/black...just considering; my main concern is keeping it healthy! Let us know how your new pick in shampoo works for you!
I will definitely try this style!

Helga said...

Superduper cute! I will be trying that today...

Kandgoods said...

Thanks for the jeans site. I've already ordered!...When I saw your locks I got locks...my cousin and I went through most of this site as I was trying to convince her to get locks aswell. We finally came your page and she saw the bun...now she wants locks lol. What an inspiration, seriously!

cheleski said...

wow, you are truely getting creative!!!

brunsli said...

I'm just catching up with your blog -- and you are great at styling!

I love the chopsticks bun and the curly updo with flowers. And, you have A LOT of hair! (You have no idea how happy I am to say that to someone else - hehehe.)

And, go go go for your marathon!!