July 30, 2008

New Shampoo & Conditioner

V05 Vanilla Mint Tea Shampoo and Conditioner:
Yesterday I went swimming and before I left home, I researched on Np about the best conditioner to use to avoid chlorine damage with my locks or just in general to keep my locks soft and moisturized. I read that many lockers used V05 or Suave for their locks and didn't have any problems, so on my way home I purchased these two bottles. When I was a loose nappy, I used V05 or Suave and I was satisfied with how either one made my hair feel. I know I said I would wait until my 2 yr mark to start using any conditioner, but my locks have been feeling a bit dry now for some time and I feel like I need to take better care of keeping them conditioned. Both the conditioner and shampoo will be used in moderation but I must say that the fragrance is heavenly!

Avalon Organics Rosemary Shampoo:
After reading about this product with natural ingredients on Np and learning that many lockers use this shampoo and love the results, I decided to be adventurous and try it. I'm usually hesitant about trying new products just because almost anything and everything will exacerbate my seborrheic dermatitis, which is why i'm limited to using Selsun Blue. I went into Whole Foods Market and after smelling all the scented bottles and reading the ingredients, I decided to go ahead and purchase one. The choice was between Rosemary and Peppermint because those were the only two scents that were not as strong. In the end I chose the Rosemary shampoo, so I will try it this week and see how it feels then post the results. It may take a few weeks for me to actually notice any changes with the feel and look of my locks and hopefully my scalp will react positively after using it.

Questions for you if you use this shampoo:
1. What scent do you have?
2. How does it make your hair/scalp look & feel?
3. Did you notice any major differences after using this shampoo/brand?

Update: I've used this shampoo three times already and as much as I enjoy the fragrance, I find that it causes my seb.derm. to flare up again and it leaves my locks feeling a little dry. What this tells me is that I should probably use this shampoo in moderation.

8 comments:

Joy Rothke said...

Hi Kalia:

I think I saw you in the Calif Blvd Vons parking lot this afternoon around 1.45-ish? By the time I realized how I "knew" you, you'd already walked by.

Thanks,

Joy

dewdrop said...

Hi Joy,

No, sorry that wasn't me becuase I was home all day working on a 20 page paper (I have Finals for the next two weeks so i'm stuck at home in my textbooks). It must have been a look-a-like. LOL!

QueenLi said...

Hey girl, you are now on my links!
[number 24] your updo is nice, very Nice! :)
*back to watching Batman Begins*

Take Care~

Penny said...

I have the lemon/shea butter clarifying shampoo but I have not used it. After reading that I should not use shea butter and I believe glycerin I gave it to my boys. It had other ingredients that I wasn't sure of . I should go and grab it from the bathroom but I am feeling lazy.I bought it at the vitamin shop. I use Biofusion's rosemary/peppermint shampoo. I like the tingling feeling of the peppermint.

Naturally Sophia said...

I have tried Avalon's shampoo in Peppermint. I liked the way it made my hair feel but not my scalp. It kind of tingled in a weird way because of the mint. I can't wait to read how it works for you.

Anonymous said...

I have traditional locs currently get them retightened with the sisterloc tool because I started with small locs. I would like to start doing my own hair using the nappy tool. However, now that my locs have expanded after looking at the tools I'm not sure what size to get. How did you determine what size worked best for you?

Thanks

dewdrop said...

@Anonymous: I read that if your base was 1/4" wide that the size small NL tool was the best to use. The good thing about my tool is that the 'eye' is big enough for my now thick locks/fattened ends but small enough to fit through the new growth. The tool is similar to the size of a small paper clip so that should give you an idea of what size you will need for your locks.

I believe that they now have a micro sized tool but I know there is no way that my locks would even fit through the eye of that one. If your base is larger than 1/4" then you might want to consider the medium size, but for the most part the small size has worked for just about everyone and is the standard size.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, my base is about 1/4" wide. I was not sure how to determine my size I thought I was going to have to order a few to make sure I had the correct size for my locs. My locs are about the same size as yours maybe slightly smaller.

Thanks again! I can now order my nappy tool. I hope my hair looks as good as yours when I start retightening.