August 19, 2008

Braid-out Method: Plaits vs. Cornrows

______Step-by-step styling without products:__________1) Wash your hair, lightly towel dry it, cornrow it and leave it in for a day or several hours until dry.
2) (Top Left): Un-braid the left side of your head.

3) (Top Right): Un-braid the top of your head all the way and leave a few braids in on the right side, but only up to where it reaches your right ear.
4) (Bottom Left): Fluff the crinkles
5) (Bottom Right): Done!
~
This is my very first braid-out with this set of locks and I chose to wait until they matured in order to try this style. After experimenting with both methods using plaits and cornrows, and choosing which method is best for me, i've decided that the winner is (you'll need to scroll to the bottom for the answer but read my results first)............... I only knew about creating this style from banding & braiding but was not sure about getting the same results with cornrows. After viewing several albums my curiosity about the differences between the two led me to try both styles on myself. I posted the results below.
~
_______________Cornrow Braid-out_______________
This is my first attempt using cornrows and I left the right side braided while un-braiding the remainder of my head to create a side-style without the use of bobby pins. Routine: After a wash, I lightly towel dried my hair (didn't use any products) and proceeded to make my cornrows. This was my first time so it took me over an hour but i'm sure I will get faster with practice. I left these in for 1 day just to make sure that they fully dried because my roots take the longest to dry and I have a lot of density.
*Gray background: My 1st attempt with more cornrows.

*Red & Yellow background: My 2nd attempt with fewer cornrows this time. This method created a looser crinkle but lasted nearly 2 weeks before I had to wash it again. One thing I appreciate about this method is that it takes less time to undo each cornrow.
~
_______________Plaited Braid-out________________I spent probably over an hour just plaiting my head with nearly 20+ plaits because I have so much hair. I could not make each plait with more than 6 locks otherwise the braid itself would be too thick to make a complete braid. After a wash, I lightly towel dried my hair (didn't use any products), and began making plaits. I kept them in for nearly 2 days (not that I needed to but my hair retains water and takes longer to dry). This braid-out came out just as I had imagined and it lasted for nearly 2 weeks (before I had to wash it again). I had so much volume that it was hard for me to keep my hands out of my hair. The crinkles were much tighter and did not fall at all. The only down side with this method is that it takes forever for me to un-braid each plait.
~
..................What works for Dewdrop? The winner is the cornrow braid-out because for me it takes less time to braid and un-braid than the plaits, and I prefer the looser crinkle to the tighter crinkle.

23 comments:

S0uthernGirl said...

Gorgeous pics as usual :)

I'm so in awe of how full your sisterlocks are. prefer the cornrowing method for the same reason, because it saves time.

Brown ButtahFly said...

Girl your locks are beautiful!
Braidouts are my new best friend. A few weeks ago I found out how much I liked them. I agree with waitng for your locks to mature, because I tried braidouts during my early moonths of locking and they never came out right and now I know why.
As far as methods although it is time consuming I think I like the individual plaits better, when I do it this way versus the cornrow method the curls last longer. I will mention that I do like to do cornrows for a looser curl!

Great Pics, take care

DJT said...

Dew Drop,

You are officially my style ICON! I LOVE your hair!! I LOVE the braidout on everyone but I only LIKE it on me. Too tight! But I never tried it with cornbraids. I will try that this weekend.

PreciousGem-Refinement in Progress said...

Your locs are super gorgeous!! I am new in my locing transition. I started with two strands 8 weeks ago. I am so committed and excited. Thanks for inspiring and sharing your journey. God bless you!!

Natural Nicky said...

Your locks are georgeous and very full. I think that they look good with both the cornrow or braided method but I do prefer the cornrow. Your hairstyle suits your face perfectly. I know that you must be quite happy with the way that your locks have matured. Beautiful!!! You are rocking those locks. I just got mine a week ago and am loving them already.

Allecia said...

I think both styles look great! The cornrows on the side are really cute though.

rmcandlelight said...

I'm taking notes because it will be awhile before my locks mature. You have the most gorgeous locks and you style them well:)

Naturally Sophia said...

How Inspiring! I love everything you do to your hair. I like the cornrows as a style. It has a funky hip-hop feel to it. I can see it with some old school 80s earrings. LOL!

Linda said...

Both ways are great!! I understand the cornrows take less time. I love your color as well. what brand and color do you use!! Keep inspiring and sharing.

Maryee said...

I love the crinkly look with braidouts! Reminds me of my old braid and band days, but better. Cute!!!!

dewdrop said...

@Everyone: Thank you for the compliments and your input. It's greatly appreciated.

@Linda: On the left side of my blog if you look under Labels and click "Hair Color", I have posts about my coloring adventures.

Meikmeika said...

Even though both styles look amazing on you, I would also choose the cornrows for the same reason. If I could only cornrow.....LOL!!!

You are a style inspiration to the Sisterlock community!

cheleski said...

SOOOO how long did it dry and how did you dry it? i HATE the heat

dewdrop said...

@cheleski: The plaits took 1 day to dry even though I left them in for 2 days. The cornrows took 1 day to dry also but I find that my roots take the longest to dry with this method. Both times I washed my hair before bedtime and I need to stop doing this because I find that it takes longer to dry. No heat was used and I chose to air dry my locks so that is why it probably took so long.

BrownSuga said...

Love it Love it Love your braidouts! Your locs are simply devine! Thanks for that comparison.

Nubian1 said...

Very pretty hair styles Dewdrop!

locmocha said...

I love your blog, so much info. Your locks are beautiful Dewdrop! They are much like mine, being that they look as though they were cut layered.

LocRockn' said...

Your hair looks great!. I like the fact that you update on a regular basis.

Happy, Nappy, & Free To Be Me said...

You have some of the cutest styles I've ever seen. The plaited braid out gives you so much volume and I know from my own experience does last a long time but I also know it takes all day to dry and unbraid. It looks absolutely fab though!! You should submit pics to the SL home office for the SL journal!

Nubian1 said...

Your blog is so informative, especially with the hairstyles! So without further ado, YOU HAVE NOW BEEN TAGGED AGAIN.

dewdrop said...

@everyone: Thanks! I think that i've been bitten by the styling bug!

@locmocha: Interesting isn't it? Ever since my 2nd BC, I never trimmed my ends once so that's probably why the layering is so even all around.

Kellye Williams said...

Hi. I am getting my Sisterlocks tomorrow and when do you think I can do a braidout? My hair is only 5 in and less dense, so I want to give it volume.

dewdrop said...

@Kellye: I took a hiatus, so sorry for my delayed response. :) I believe that you can do a braid out anytime, however it might be a good idea to wait until your locs have settled in before manipulating them too much, otherwise you might experience slippage.