September 12, 2008

Dark & Beautiful @ 20 months

New hair color: Dark Brown


Remember my 1st attempt at coloring my locks darker back in June? Well it turned out that I was using the wrong creme developer (a 20 vol. instead of a 10 vol.) and that is why the color didn't deposit properly. The 10 vol. is used to deposit dark colors into your hair and the 20 vol. is used to lighten hair strands. I chose miss Clairol's Cinnamon 56R because that was the closest dark brown color that I could find and it was the closest to my natural hair color. (I avoided using box colors this time and used individual bottles with a 10 vol. creme developer instead). It took 4 bottles just to color my entire head! Actually, I did not color the first 3" of my roots because I only wanted the light brown color covered up, and after the whole process I felt that the new color blended in nicely with my natural color. The color deposited much better after this second attempt and I really like the overall look! Gosh I feel so sexy. The color looked more black than dark brown during the first week, but after a few washes it gradually lightened. In the sun I can notice the dark reddish-brown color but indoors it just looks brown/black. What I like most about my new dark color is that it really makes my colorful outfits and accessories even more vibrant. My locks look wispy because I quickly and loosely wrapped them with my loc loops a few hours before heading out to a surprise b-day party.
~

BANTU KNOT-OUT

This is my first time trying Bantu Knots on my locks (Before/After) and the results are great! They are relatively easy to do and dried faster this time as compared to my braid-outs.


One morning, I spontaneously decided to try something different with my locks and so I lightly spritzed them with H20, and made little Bantu Knots all over. I allowed for them to dry the whole day and un-twisted them by evening. The top pics. show Bantu-knots and un-twisted Bantu-knots, while the bottom shows the final result after finger combing them out. I will definitely try this again. I guess i've been bitten by the styling bug! Now that my hair is darker, I need to reorganize my wardrobe because I want to look a little stylistically balanced. I knew how to balance all the colors and outfits when my hair was golden-brown but now i'm dealing with a different challenge. At least this will be something fun to explore.
~

The day I colored my hair:

This is immediately after I colored my hair and as you can see, the back didn't take very well (which ALWAYS happens no matter what I do) so it left individual brown and black streaks in my hair which looks really cool. As much as I liked my prior hair color, I was just tired of the brassy look that it gave and I wanted just one solid color for once. This process took so long because I had to work on 1/2 of my head at a time. I just really hope that the color stays this time so that I won't have to repeat this entire process. It's a lot of work once your hair gets longer. On a final note, I must say that I really enjoy how healthy and sheeny my locks look with this dark color. I'm so used to wearing lighter colors that I forgot how I looked with a color close to my own natural hair color.

25 comments:

wonderdust78 said...

Loving the hair colour!!!!!!!

Tamra said...

Hi Kalia,

Love your blog!

I've been following your styling posts and was wondering--you're letting all of these sets dry naturally?! Wow! Mine are never that curly when I air-dry them--when you take them down are they completely dry? Mine never seem to dry completely unless I sit under the dryer (even after 24 hours). Help! What are you doing that I'm not?

And, I workout regularly too and was also wondering--how long do your sets last when you workout? I always end up sweating my sets out (gymwise and hairwise). I'd love to see them last longer because it takes so much bloody work just to make the curls happen to begin with! Any helpful hints?

Your locks are fabulous!

Saabira said...

your hair color looks great, very sexy

Brown ButtahFly said...

Love the new color and the style. I'm curious as well to know if your locks are completely dry when you style them. Your styles always come out great, thanks for sharing.

naturalnicky said...

Your locks look absolutely gorgeous. The styles that you create are awesome. My hair isn't really long enough to style but I'm loving it just as it is. I think that I'm going to enjoy coming up with different looks when my locks grow out. Thanks for giving us ideas of what we could do with our locks.

dewdrop said...

Thanks ladies!

@Tamra & @Brown Buttahfly: Yes, my locks are completely dry when I style them. FYI, I don't make my plaits, cornrows or knots when my hair is drenched. After a wash, i'll squeeze the water out from my locks in sections, then I actually use 2 micro fiber towels to soak up all the water that's left (that's what happens when your hair holds a lot of water) and then when it's slightly damp is when I make my braids/knots. Doing this will cut down the amount of time that it takes for them to dry. My roots take the longest to dry and my hair is super thick so I make sure that my towel soaks up as much water as it can. The key here for me is to really remove as much water as I can before styling so that my locks feel as if they were lightly spritzed or something. Try this and let me know how it comes out.

@Tamra: I do light workouts during the week so i'll put my hair up in a loose band or something just to keep the locks off my neck and from sweating out. I do heavy running on Saturdays so my styles do get sweated out. As a result, I came up with a method to extend the length of time that my styles do last. I've decided to wash my hair after my Sat. run and then set it at night before bed time because then it lasts the entire week until the next Sat., even during my light runs.

Basically, i'll wash my hair Sat. morning and wear it freestyle the whole day. At night i'll lightly spritz it with H20, set it, then allow it to air dry while sleeping. In the morning it will be 98% dry. I use this method only if I don't have time for my hair to dry all day.

@naturalnicky: You're welcome. I didn't style as much in the last several months only because I was in-between lengths and styling was a bit of a challenge. Now I believe that i'm a little past that mark so i'm glad that I can experiment with more than just my rollers.

Wendi aka "Wendosa" said...

Hey There,
Just strolling thru after a long time. Your hair is looking fabulous as usual. Love all the styles you do and I envy the fact that you can color! I can't wait to color. I'm in my second set only in the 6th month so I have a ways to go and my dark roots are not cute. Your blog gives a girl hope!

Tamra said...

Kalia

Basically, i'll wash my hair Sat. morning and wear it freestyle the whole day. At night i'll lightly spritz it with H20, set it, then allow it to air dry while sleeping. In the morning it will be 98% dry. I use this method only if I don't have time for my hair to dry all day.

Aaaaahhh--I hadn't thought of that, and I bet it helps tremendously--I'm going to have to try this. Thanks!

Again--love your blog! ;-)

cheleski said...

i really like your color!

*Coop* said...

Your hair looks very nice dark! And thanks for the bantu knot tip - I'll have to try it soon.

Allecia said...

I think you would look good with any color. It's not fair!

NubianLockedPrincess said...

I love the new color! As Allecia said, you look good with any color!

http://crabadams72.blogspot.com/ said...

Your hair looks great!

QueenLi said...

Girl, I haven't been by in a minute, but that new color is Nice, Very NICE!!!! :) luv-it!

When my locks mature {and I take out the ext.}, I gotta keep that color in mind... My DH likes dark hair.

Take Care~

Cluizel said...

love the new color! and the bantu knot set looks great!

STI said...

I love them! They look wonderful!

Locksuluv Hair Affair said...

Your new hair color really looks good on you...I just admire that you are a DIYer...I am trying to get to that point where I can do my entire head. I have been able to do the front sections of my head but not the back. Any pointers?

dewdrop said...

@locksuluv: I colored the front 1/2 first, rinsed and dried it, then I colored the back 1/2. I then used a color sealant (Ion conditioner pack) to help seal in the color and this has helped tremendously. Since my back is stubborn with taking color, I left it in longer than the suggested time and this helped (45 min. - 1 hr.). My hair can tolerate this length of time to color but I wouldn't suggest trying it if you're not sure how your hair will respond. Also, I had lots of thick hair to cover so it's challenging to always get every lock, but i'll spritz with H20 to help spread out the color. Hope this helps.

Kandgoods said...

Oh my goodness, the colour looks perfect on you! Go Kalia!!

sunsail said...

wow, the darker color is AMAZING on you!! I think it truly pops and looks rich and luxurious, if that's possible. I definitely prefer it to the lighter color. I think it blened into your skin tone, if you know what i mean.

And my how your hair has grown!!

dewdrop said...

@Sunsail: Now that I think about it, you are definitely correct that the color did blend too much into my skin tone. I've received so many compliments about my new dark color and how much of a difference it has made in the change of my appearance. One friend says that it brings out more of my facial features and my mom says that to her it looks thicker when it's darker.

MsNaNa said...

The color did come out really cool (although I'm a little late). Oh, and I'm loving the bantuknots in-between stage. That's a style in itself that I would so rock (when I get my locks).LOL

Jessica said...

Dewdrop - your hair is looking great as usual! I have a question about the bantu knots though...on nappturality I remember reading several posters talk about how much bantu knots hurt. I have sisterlocks too and would like to try them but don't want to pull them too tight. I've never done this style before and was wondering if you had any tips? I forget if you had a tutorial on it before...*off to search...just in case...*

Thanks for any help!
-Jessica

dewdrop said...

@jessica: I make bantu-knots when my hair is slightly damp and because i'm extremely tender headed, I make sure not to wrap the base too tightly. First I single twist a few locks (like a comb coil) and then twist that section around itself tight enough to hold but loose enough to not give me pain or a headache.

I think some people pull them too tight because the tighter the wrap, the curlier your locks will be, but personally I don't want to endure more pain if I don't have to.

rockinlocz said...

Hey Kalia, your styles are soooo cute. I have baby braidlocz and like to style my locz too. It disguises the fuzzies for me. Thanks for the style tips. I want to color my babies as well, but I think I will have to wait several months before I can color. Wish I had colored before I installed my bradelocz. Guess I was a little too excited about joining the loc'd family:-)