October 08, 2008

Cascading Curls


This is a continuation of my seasonal look. For the fall i've decided to wear cascading curls, or a curly puff. The reason is that my curls last about a week without me having to do anything to them and they still look good when I get up in the morning. Just shake and go! I've been using my Loc Loops which I really enjoy using, and I find that as my locks get longer, the curls droop more as a result of my length. However, I notice that when I make bantu-knots the the curls actually last much longer.

I've noticed that my locks have grown even thicker and it never caught my attention until I saw another young woman the other day with 2 yr.old Sls. Her locks were a little shorter but thinner and when she mentioned that hers were 2 yrs, I became excited and responded that mine were reaching that point. When I went home and looked in the mirror, I was amazed at how thick my locks were in comparison to hers, then again I had to remind myself that I have naturally thick and dense hair.

I really like the thickness of my locks and I wouldn't change it for the world. I feel like one of those dolls with a big head of hair. I've received so many compliments about my new color and the curls that people can't stop staring. As you can see, the back half of my locks didn't take the new color too well and so the brown streaks are obvious, but it gives my hair a unique look. :-)

Sometimes i'll put my hair up in a curly puff but then again it can feel tight and i'm tender headed so I don't wear this up style for too long or that often. I know I have lots of hair around my kitchen, but I leave it alone because when I use to clean it up, the hair grew back twice as fast so I just gave up. If anything, I try to brush the loose hairs into my locks.

15 comments:

Thandi said...

BEAUTIFUL!!This is why I'm so sad that we don't have SL's in this country!

dewdrop said...

You can still achieve the same look with micro braidlocks or nappylocks. Saabira even has information on how to start small locks with the 4 pt. pattern and they will eventually end up looking the same as sls. Here is her link: http://saabira8.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-did-you-do-that.html

Tamra said...

Your hair looks AMAZING as always.

Hehe, I don't bother with "The Kitchen" either. It's pointless for the exact reasons you mentioned. I think it actually enhances the beauty of the locks--really, I do. ;-)

BTW, I just wanted to say thanks for that tip on air-drying for 1/2 a day and then rolling/braiding later. That has worked wonders for me!

The Real Nique said...

Your blog is always full of useful and easy to understand info. I always love looking at your page and you hair is very gorgeous! I love the curls. Love the DIY ideas! As a newly braidlocker, I will be following your page. Check me out at my lockspot and tell me what you think.

mogirl said...

Thanks so much for discussing your dense, thick hair. My hair is very thick and dense and I, too, recently saw someone with SLs at 2 yrs and they were thin and uniform, and beautiful. Mine at 18 months are much thicker than hers (and most others I've seen), and nowhere near as uniform. I've come to realize and truly appreciate that my SLs are beautiful too, and will never look like hers because my hair has always been super dense and thick and always will be. Thanks for showcasing how beautiful thick-haired SLs can be.

mogirl

dewdrop said...

@Nique: Your babies are so cute! I have your link now so i'm good. I'm trying to keep up with everyone else's blog, lol!

@mogirl: Well said and you are right. Heads with smaller sized locks but super thick hair need to represent lol! Thanks for the encouragement because i'm comfortable now with the fact that my locks aren't uniform and they are getting thicker as odd as that sounds ;-p. I assumed one year ago when they had finally matured that this was the final size. I wasn't expecting them to get thicker but that's the beauty of our locks. Maybe this is the magic that i'm experiencing near my 2 yr. mark.

Allecia said...

Pretty! You look very professional. I agree on the bantu knots. I don't know what it is about them that keeps hair curled so much longer.

STI said...

This is really nice! Girl you are holdin it down when it comes to managing your own hair! You really inspire me! I just got my nappyloc tool yesterday so I'm excited to use it or learn how to! Hey, I know of the blog on here that explains how to do it, but do you think you could make some kind of video showing exactly how you do it? Even if its just doing one loc because I'm not grasping this rotation thing! =(

dewdrop said...

@Sti: Thanks! I feel empowered just being able to do this myself. I don't have a video camera or video to show how it's done but NubianLockedPrinccss made a video about it and it's very easy to follow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgrRXZwmqLg

Saabira8 also made a very good photo/text tutorial and here is her link as well: http://saabira8.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-did-you-do-that.html

Saabira said...

I LOVE your hair, and I always look forward to reading your blog and all the ideas you have for you hair. I love the cascading curls. They look great and I cant wait until my hair gets that long.

Naturally Sophia said...

I love your hairstyles always. The curls are gorgeous.

aybee77 said...

Just had to say, your hair is so thick and beautiful. The curls look great!

Audrey's Pleasure said...

I LOVE your thick hair. i want thickness or fullness in the front of my hair. i'm thinking of getting extensions for the front. your hair is freaking gorgeous. the next time i'm in new york, i would love to meet you.

dewdrop said...

@everyone: Thanks! I could really use the encouragement from you and inspiration from you blogs because i'm not around many nappies or locked heads so sometimes it can get a little lonely out here.

@audrey's: My hairline is okay but not as thick as the rest of my head because of the damage from the perm in certain areas. It would be so awesome to meet you as well. I'm here in southern California so let me know when you are in town! I always thought that your hair was so thick and full and I can't really tell that your front isn't. Your such an inspiration to me.

Aya said...

Oh wow, your locks are the best!!! Just love them.