January 07, 2009

How to: Fix Loose Strands

BEFORE & AFTER

For the longest time I had issues with hair strands escaping my locks, and I tried everything from wrapping or braiding strands around the lock to just pulling them through the new growth with every tightening session. I know that my weekly washing contributes to th problem but with my seb.derm. I can't help it. This never became a problem until recently and that's when I remembered NubianLockedPrincess' video about incorporating loose hairs into your locks. Her technique is very helpful, however I had longer strands that still wouldn't stay put and that's when Cheleski posted information on Np.com about this guy who had sewn his loose strands back into his locks. Basically, he took a needle and thread, pushed the needle through the base of the lock, pulled the strands through the thread's loop and then pulled the thread through with the strands. He repeated this process down the lock away from the base so I gave it a try and it worked! I decided to post pics. of how I did the same process:


Grab the loose strands of hair that loosened from the nearest lock

Take a needle and small amount of thread which is knotted to create a loop. Take the chosen lock, partially push the needle and thread through the locked part right above the new growth. If you use a small needle, then you won't create large holes or gaps through the locks' shaft.

Pull the loose strands through the thread's loop, hold down the strands with your fingers and begin to pull the needle and thread away from the lock.

Pull the needle and thread all the way through the lock until the loose strands of hair follow. Repeat these steps going upward along the shaft of the lock and away from the root bed. Make each new insertion close to the previous one until your loose strands are completely embedded and are not sticking out anywhere along the lock.
~
If you have any tips or a different way of fixing your loose strands, then please share! :-)

Updated: Dec. 10th 2009: Loose Strands video

16 comments:

Allecia said...

This is quite the tutorial. Nice work!

escoveitch said...

Thanks a million. This will help me tremendously.

Anonymous said...

Thank you ,thank you ,thank you ; )

rockinlocz said...

Wow, that's amazing! Good job explainig how to take care of the looseies. I will study this method until I get it. I'm sure it will be helpful. Thanks a bunch:-)

Germaine said...

I will be locking my hair later this month and so I have been looking around to see what other people have been doing/how they are working with their hair.

Your blog is amazing! Your consistent, honest documentation is extremely helpful. I plan on being a DIYer since my hair has been natural for over 10 years now and I can't see myself going to someone else (even my sister who will lock it for me) to maintain it.

Thank you so much for your work. I will be checking back often.

Trina said...

Thanks Dew Drop! I will be doing this during the weekend. I am a procrastinator and my loose strands show it. LOL!!

HappilyNappilyNish said...

This is great!

dewdrop said...

This post is for all of you so enjoy!

@Germaine: You will enjoying being a DIYer because it's so freeing! You can do what you want with your hair and when you want to so that you are not bound to another person's schedule.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand something. At first I thought the thread was tied to the lock, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If you create a loop, do you have to reinsert the hair in the loop each time you pull the needle through the lock? Also, did you use a particular size or type of needle? I'm thinking maybe one larger than the ones found in travel sewing kits and maybe one with a blunt tip so I don't accidentally poke myself...

dewdrop said...

@Anon: Yes, insert the hair in the loop each time. A regular sewing needle is fine (maybe a little bigger than the travel size) because it will go through your lock without creating a hole in the middle of it.

Try pulling the needle through once you've inserted it rather than pushing it through in order to avoid being poked.

Kicukalah said...

Could you take a look at my blog and offer any advise or suggestions you may have. I look at your blog quite often and I think you do a wonderful job of explaining everything. Your opinion is much appreciated. The posting is called "Holey Dreads"
inthelifeofag@blogspot.com

SisterlocksMD said...

I have hair growing in between my locks and thought there must be some way to thread these loose strands into my locks, and then I found this post! I will try this when the strands grow a little longer. I notice retightening them helps neaten up the loose strands but that usually only lasts until I wash my hair. I will give it a try and let you know what happens.

robinc3 said...

Kalia, your locks are beautiful! I have (well had) those loose hairs along my locks. It was so many of them that I decided to trim them off with scissors, well I let my locitician do it. I would have done some serious damage. It was too much to use your method.

dewdrop said...

@SLMD: I had the same issue also where my the neatness would only last until my next wash, but i'm glad that we have a solution now so let me know if it works out better for you this way.

@robinc3: Thank you! I don't blame you but at least you are doing what works for you and in the future you have another alternative. :-)

Rajdulari said...

Hi Dewdrop, can you make a video showing how you do this at some point? The pictures were great, but I'd really like to see how you do it in real time. Also, What kind of thread did you use? Im a little wary of the idea of having thread permanently entangled with my locs, but if it'll help with the stray hairs, I'm willing to try it.

Thanks!

dewdrop said...

@Rajdulari: I'll definitely consider making a video once I have some loose strands to sew back in first. Lol! I just used regular sewing thread and brightly colored so that I could see what I was doing. The thread won't get entangled in your locks if you do it correctly so give it a try. :-)