January 02, 2009

New Year Crinkles


Happy New Year!!
To celebrate I chose to wear a style that I haven't worn in a while....crinkles!


I divided my hair into two sections (the front half and back half) and made large cornrows in both sections because I found this to be easier than cornrowing straight back like I had in the past. After a good wash and drying with two micro-fiber towels, I braided the rest of the damp hair (without products) and went to bed. I slept on a satin pillow case with my braids exposed so that they would hopefully dry during the night which they did.
By morning, the middle of my head was still slightly damp so the braid didn't hold that well, but it no big deal. I unbraided the back section of my head first (left) and then the front (right).

Ok, i'm just having fun swinging my locks around and as you can see, I have lots of new growth. The dark color that my locks used to have faded so my dark roots are more obvious now. I didn't realize this until an acquaintance pointed it out to me. Yeah....so much for permanent color.

The mirror behind me is double sided and magnified on one side, so if I don't have access to my 2-way mirror in the bathroom, then I just use this mirror with the one hanging on the back of my bedroom door. Works like a charm and it has a flexible neck so adjustment is easy. My mom bought it for me when I first became napptural so i'm not sure where she bought it from.
I attended a New Year's Day party in the evening and some of my crinkles in the back kind of straightened out. The sides stayed nicely crinkled but were shorter than the back because the side braids that were left in dried faster than the braids in the back by morning time.

13 comments:

cheleski said...

it is absolutely beautiful! thats what i did for new years!

Free P. said...

I love that look! I will have to try that except I can't cornrow. Maybe it will wotk with braids???

dewdrop said...

@Free P.: Yes, you can achieve this style with braids as well. Braids create a tighter crinkle and cornrows create a looser crinkle.

Docs Locs said...

Gorgeous as usual. Happy New Year.

Naturally Sophia said...

Perfection! Happy New Year!

Chosen Vessel {Abena} said...

This is a nice look for you :) Happy New Year!

Meikmeika said...

I wish I could cornrow. Your crinkles came out beautifully!!

Happy New Year!!!

NubianLockedPrincess said...

Girl,You locs are beautiful! I can`t wait until can do something with mine!

Have a Blessed New Year!

rockinlocz said...

Girl, you are rockin the crinkles. That is my favorite style. I'm rockin them now as well and find that the styling options are endless. Enjoy:-)

rmcandlelight said...

Lovely, Lovely, Lovely!!!

Can you do a video showing us how you tighten your locks?

Queen Nat said...

How do you braid your hair so neatly in the back? Mine are always sticking out towards the sides!

dewdrop said...

Happy New Year everyone!

@rmcandleligh: I would like to eventually and i'll consider your suggestion.

@QN: Well, I think the length of your locks may contribute to your problem. I have shorter locks in some areas and as a result they tend to stick out at times. I find that my locks are a little neater when I make several smaller braids rather than a few big ones. Try that and let me know what happens.

curtissepearl said...

Your crinkles are amazing!