February 11, 2009

Graduation Cap & Locks


So I finally completed Graduate Business School with my MBA on January 31st since I completed my program a quarter early.  (The University isn't mentioned for privacy reasons). After two years of hard work, studying and dedication I finally completed my degree program. Praise God! However, wearing my locks under my graduation cap was another story in itself.

My 'one-size-fits-all' cap didn't fit, so I searched for ideas on how to wear it over my locks (or at least keep it on my head) because I had so much hair that the only solution was to pin it down. The cap literally sat on top of my hair and I used six bobby-pins just to keep it down and prevent it from shifting or falling. It wouldn't even sit properly if I placed the cap closer to my forehead, so I chose to place it further back and that worked out better. Only one time did the cap slip a little and that was when someone bounced the back of it. Thanks to everyone on Np for giving me ideas on how to wear my cap over my thick hair.

Other than that, the weather was very hot and even though everyone was sweating like crazy, my curls managed to keep their bounce. Upon entering the building before the ceremony one young woman screamed out loud "Oh my gosh! I love your hair!" I had a huge smile on my face and all I could say was 'Thank you!!" After the ceremony, I took pictures with my friends and some of my professors. I didn't see any other nappies in the crowd, but it didn't bother me because I like how my locks stand out in a crowd of people. They make me feel so unique, almost one-of-a-kind and they extract positive responses from people. Also, the new color really made my locks look fabulous in the sunlight.

22 comments:

Bsquared86 said...

congrats!

Evelyn Prather said...

Congratulations! That is a great accomplishment. :)

euphoria said...

congrats and much continued success, after dropping out of college I have been trying to go back for the last 15 year, but you have inspired me to go and finish my degree.

QueenLi said...

Congrats! You look great! :)

Take Care~

Thandi said...

Congratulations dear! And your hair did look fabulous!Thanks for 'represnting!'

Kicukalah said...

Congratulations!

NubianLockedPrincess said...

Congrats! Sending you plenty of blessings!

Au Naturale said...

congratulations! i know it has to feel AWESOME!

Queen Nat said...

Congrats!!!

Naturally Sophia said...

WOOOHOOO! Congrats!

dewdrop said...

Thank you so much everyone! It feels great to be done and i'm looking forward to new and exciting adventures coming my way. When I first started my program, I was sporting my fro, twists and puffs, and 2 years later I have mature locks. I've always imagined how my locks would look under my graduation cap and i'm not disappointed at all!

Phoenix Rising said...

Congratulations on completeing this mile stone in your lifes journey. You look very happy and deserve every ounce of it. I know you've been an inspiration to me with sisterlocks and now you just inspire women in another way.

Phoenix Rising

Penny said...

Congratulations. Yeah! A good old fashioned masters. These days so many people get it online. I guess such a sign of the times. I got my masters a year after undergrad. I am glad you got it before you had kids. I see so many people in school with kids. Hats off to em cuz I don't know how they do it. Now you gotta get a job!! Maybe you can start your own buisness and create jobs. Maybe you can get a grant to start a small business. You are a woman and you are an african-american and I am sure you can get something. Excited for you

MsNaNa said...

Congrats darling. I can't wait until I'm trying to figure out how to get locks under my graduation cap come 2012! lol. So far from now! Best wishes and be blessed.

Brown ButtahFly said...

Congrats!

Shavonne said...

Congrats and your hair looks divine!

robinc3 said...

Congratulations!!! I wish you all the best!!! And your locks are ROCKIN!!!

Chinue*s LLL Philosophy said...

Congrats! Loving your locks. :)

Allecia said...

Congratulations! How did you curl your locks that day? The style was perfect and you looked so radiant.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I've been following you since Nappturality. You're all grown up now...sigh

Danielle

dewdrop said...

@Everyone: Thanks again for all the love and support!

@Penny: Thanks for your suggestions.

@NaNa: Keep me posted! :-)

@Allecia: I tightly rolled my hair with my lock loops the night before and this kept my curls bouncy the entire day.

@Danielle: See, that's my favorite...when you have the opportunity to track someone's journey from the beginning and watch them mature. It's such a blessing.

curtissepearl said...

Congratulations!