March 18, 2009

My DIY Hair Ties "Thanks Penny!"

Longer Hair Ties (for looser puffs)
First of all, let me say thank you to Penny and her brilliant solution to my dilemma! As many of you already know, I made my own DIY hair ties in the past but I had a problem. The string that I used was too thin for my thick head of hair and as a result caused one of my ties to break, and that is when I knew I had to use a more durable string. Penny gave me a great suggestion and that was to purchase a pack of 8 ouch-less head ties from Target, combine them and use them as a replacement. In the spirit of being creative, I went to Micheal's craft store and purchased 4 individual glass pendants (the sea shells and snakes) which were on sale, and made two extra hair ties with them. They have some beautiful pendants with an even wider selection since my last visit. Since I know how breakable glass is, I chose to use the thicker more solid ones (on the left). Oh! Did I mentioned that they were all on sale for $2.00 each? Now that's a steal! This works out perfectly for me and i'm excited to know that I have stronger elastic bands to tie around my hair and that they stay in place.
~

Description from left to right: 1) Snakes: These are made of glass with a black color and a gold sparkly stripe along the body of the snake. 2) Shells: These are made of glass with a blue and gold sparkly/shimmery design all over. 3) Sand-dollars: Blue mother of pearl. 4) Round plastic circles colored beige and brown.
~
I followed Penny's tutorial and had my own ties within a few minutes. Of course there were some beautiful pendants that had smaller holes, and knowing that my elastic bands wouldn't fit through them didn't concern me at all. I just moved on to the pendants with a larger hole. I also transferred the pendants from my old ties to my new ties, so now I feel more comfortable with supporting the thickness of my locks. Be sure to check out Penny's step-by-step instructions on how to make these ties with a bigger elastic so that you can get the support needed for your locks.
Shorter Hair Ties (for tighter puffs)

UPDATE: Yesterday I had a horrible experience where I nearly lost one of my locks. I used one of my old thin pony tail holders and it become stuck in my locks near the nape of my neck. Not only that, but one lock wound itself around the holder and became one with it make it virtually impossible to remove unless I ripped the lock from the holder. That was the final straw for me. So I took 3 of my hair ties and untied them (they were doubled in the 1st picture) so that I could make shorter hair ties and now my locks are safe from being damaged unnecessarily. I loop the tie around like a pony tail and push the pendant through the opening of the other end to keep it in place. If I want to make the hair tie longer again, then I only need to adjust it by combining the two ties together again.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a fabulous idea! I never thought about making my own hair ties. I love your blog and all the helpful tips that you have. I have had my sisterlocks for a little over 2 years now and have very thick hair, so was always intimidated by retightening myself, but now I am thinking about teaching myself to retighten my own hair so I'll definately be reviewing your old posts.

Off to Michael's for some pendants to make my own hair ties!

dewdrop said...

@Anon: Awe, don't feel intimidated by your hair size. I have very thick hair myself and sometimes it just wants to take over! But i'm good about having control of it and learning to work with it. Be adventurous and try it yourself. You never know what you are capable of doing until you at least try. Enjoy finding some pendants at Michael's!

Kay exquisite said...

Hey so I love these I have been checking out youtube and various blogs that make them and i was going to try but most have a circle that you stick the point into, how will you tie your? In a knot or are you gonna stick it into the hole?

dewdrop said...

@Kay: I just push one pendant through the opening of the string with the other pendant attached, or I just tie it around the same way you would with your show laces before making a bow, and it stays.

msfullroller said...

Thanks for the link to Penny and to you for the DIY hairtie! I now know I can use two of the same end and not need the straight part. I already had a gazillion ouchless bands so this works out great!

Penny said...

They look superfantastic!I hope they work well for you. I can't wait until you do something else I can copy.I still haven't found the right scarf like you have.I just love you! You remind me of my lil' sister. She told me to thank you about posting about the shampoo you use because it really helped with the thick flakes.

dewdrop said...

@msfullroller: Of course! There are so many ways to wear hair ties, so experiment!

@Penny: Great! Tell your sister that i'm happy for her because I know exactly where she is coming from and how hard it can be sometimes. If you are talking about the scarf in my "Growing Lock Puff" post, then that one was actually made by my cousin and she used the tie-dye technique. She made drapes/curtains in her home using the same tie-dye technique but they were darker colors (blue, turquoise, purple and green). She's an artist so she makes the most amazing art work.

Cara said...

OMG! GREAT IDEA! I LOVE IT AND AM AB-SO-LUTE-LY GOING TO DO THIS! SUCH CREATIVITY MUST BE SHARED! THANKS FOR THE INFO!

Karen said...

Thank you for sharing. I have always wanted to make my own hair ties. I am going to try this out, thank you for the details.

Karen

Spicylocks said...

Your blogs and You Tube videos have been so helpful. Thank you for all the time, effort and energy you put into keeping us informed. I am SL'd 5 weeks now and have gained so much information from you and just wanted to personally thank you.

cheleski said...

when/if you do a DVD showing how you hook those around your hair-will you let a sista know? i cant figure out how they clasp together.

dewdrop said...

@ everyone: Thanks!
@Cheleski: I'll definitely consider it. I just overlap the accessory through the tie's opening just like you would with those little ball/bulb hair bands that little girls wear.