March 08, 2009

Sun kissed Crinkles


I've been wearing a braid-out for nearly 2-3 weeks now and experimenting with making small and large cornrows just to determine what kind of crinkle would result from either size. This is one of my favorite styles, but I have to wear it moderately only because I don't want to become bored with wearing it too often and I want to avoid excessive styling so that I can allow my locks to rest.

As i've mentioned before, I wash my locks, towel dry them and then make cornrows when they are slightly damp. I allow for them to air dry overnight but sometimes the back remains damp so the crinkle is looser in the back of my head than the front. I always make sure to braid my cornrows loosely near the roots for two reasons: 1) I'm tender headed and any tightness is unbearable, especially when trying to sleep at night and, 2) I found that my roots dry faster because there is more air flow than when I use to braid closely to the scalp.
Interestingly enough, my length is much shorter with this style and I have a nice shoulder length style until I shower and my locks fall straight. That is when I realize how long my locks truly are and that they are close to arm pit length. The last time I had this length was when I was 4 years old and i've worn a short hair/bob for nearly a decade, so having all this length is taking some adjustment. However, I really like my locks and I feel so beautiful with them and feel extra special knowing that i've been growing and maintaining them myself for a long time now.

17 comments:

QueenLi said...

Nice, very Nice! :)

The crinkles is one of my fav. lock styles as well. {Can't wait for my hair to grow so I can rock that style again}.

I hope to have more updates this summer.
Take Care~

Chinue*s LLL Philosophy said...

I'm just loving your hair. I think one of the main reasons your locks are so beautiful is because they are reflecting the love that you invest in them. :)

aybee77 said...

Nice! Great pictures. Your hair looks wonderful.

Queen Nat said...

Beautiful!! I just love your locks.

Penny said...

ooo la la. I love your hair sister. I can't wait to do all that. I can't wait to swing my hair fast and watch it flow or hold my head to back and let it hang just like you. Oh well gotta go watch lil kim on dancing with the stars.

msfullroller said...

Beautiful! I can't wait until my locks are this length.

Allecia said...

Do you find that your locks condense and look thinner after styling? I usually feel as though mine do and I'm noticing that yours seem that way too.

dewdrop said...

@everyone: Thank you ladies!

@Allecia: Sometimes they look thinner and at other times they look thicker. I don't know what it is but I think that styling them does help them to condense somewhat, hence the thinness.

Gena said...

I love the braid out...I am going to have to try it one day. I haven't really did any styling to my hair...April makes a year so I think I am ready.

Saabira said...

I love your hair, I love reading your blog. I just cant WAIT until I am able to do that to my hair.

Amba said...

I like this. Curiously, it does make your hair appear shorter. Have you tried two-strand twisting?

***8083*** said...

LOVE your new pix!!!

MsNaNa said...

I absolutely love the direction your hair is going. The crinkles look great on you... and I'm still loving the color! Can't wait to get there myself :)

Question... How do you get your pics in the four box (side by side)format? Thanks.

dewdrop said...

@Amba: I noticed the same thing. My hair is shorter whenever I style it and it's fun because it allows me to play around with my length. Our hair is awesome!

@MsNana: When I post my pics, I select the small size feature (lrg. med. or sml) before uploading them and they automatically appear side by side.

MsNaNa said...

Kalia.. apparently I forgot which post I had commented on. Please disregard the same question on the other post. Thanks for the info. I;m gonna tyr that now! Yay!

Anonymous said...

You are one of my favourite lockers of any type, like the crinkle look on you and the colour.
Do you have to put elastic bands on the ends to stop the braid from unravelling? How long is your hair now?
Denny

dewdrop said...

@Denny: Thank you! I do use elastic bands on the end of each cornrow to avoid unraveling and my hair has grown past my shoulders now.