March 18, 2009

Wash, Tighten & Groom


There is nothing more refreshing than giving your locs a great wash! This time I sped up the drying process by using a hair dryer after towel drying my locs only because it was bedtime and I did not want to sleep on them while they were still damp.

Over the next two days, I tightened my roots and this time my session was much shorter because it was my 4 week mark versus my 5 week mark, so I needed to do only one rotation with each lock. Normally, if I wait longer than 4 weeks to tighten my roots then I have more new growth and my session takes longer. On the third day I decided to groom my locks, especially in the back, because I hadn't groomed the back in about a year and I had a lot of bulkiness near the roots that made my tightening a little challenging.

Whenever I groom my locks, I only groom the top half of each lock's shaft and avoid going near the roots because I don't want to disturb a fresh tightening. The bottom half is locked solid without strays, so I leave that alone. I always wait until the part near the root has locked and grown out some before even attempting to groom that area. I only cut long stray hairs and leave the short curly ones alone because that will mesh with the rest of the lock. The strays just stray forever and will hug around other locks like a vine reaching for a tree branch. Then i'll hear 'snap' every time I run my fingers through my locks. When my friends saw my locks that same evening, they couldn't believe how dramatically different they looked. One friend asked, "What did you do to your hair? You did something different....it's...so smooth!" I chuckled and replied, "I just tightened the roots, that's all." (I wasn't about to explain the grooming process because that would have been another long discussion).
~
I'm very excited about how well my locks have matured and I absolutely love their color. They are growing like crazy and most of my ends are sealed except for a few that are still loose and will probably remain loose. This is a wonderful journey and i'm glad that I can share it with all of you.

11 comments:

The Real Nique said...

Once again, you have done it! You are the bomb girl! I love every update. I like your color too. Thanks for all you do!

Naturigurl said...

Beautiful following your blog has been so inspiring. Maybe you can check mine out and give me some pointers on my start. THis is my third time (there are no SL consultants where I live) anyway congrats on the journey look forward to more post.

dewdrop said...

@TheRealNique: Thanks! I really love to share information with people and it excites me when people are grateful for it and can apply it to their lives. Knowledge is power!

@Naturigurl: Don't worry, this is my 3rd set of SL also, so let me go check out your blog...

Allecia said...

Your hair just keeps growing and growing and growing!

***8083*** said...

I can't get enough of your pix! Your locs are just amazing!

Karen said...

I love your hair Kalia. I just did a quick featured of you, on my blog.

Please check it out when you can:

http://naturalhairbeauty.blogspot.com/

Karen

cheleski said...

they look wonderful! u do such a great job at diy!!!!

Gilda said...

I am still inspired by your hair. I really love the look and the size of yours.

dewdrop said...

Thanks everyone!

fatfriend said...

I've maintained my own sisterlocks since their installation a year ago. I'm ready to groom and I'm so glad I found your blog! I wasn't sure what strands to cut and which ones to leave alone. I love DIYers! You do it!

dewdrop said...

@fatfriend: This is wonderful that you are a DIYer, just be careful about grooming because it can weaken your locks in the long run if they're done too often or with locks that haven't fully matured yet. I've chosen to stop grooming because of how much it had damaged my locks.