April 29, 2009

Half-Marathon Race w/ soaked locs!

~~~~~Run Dewdrop Run!~~~~~
Last month (March) I participated in the Pasadena marathon, the city's first marathon ever, but chose to race in their half-marathon just so that I could get a feel for the course without exhausting myself knowing how mountainous/hilly Pasadena was. (Some of you might remember how this race was set for November '08 but due to the southern California fires, they had to post-pone the event until this year). This was a very interesting day because the weather was ridiculous but it did not prevent participants from racing. It rained heavily at the starting line and thank God I wore the right running gear for this weather because throughout the race it continued to rain on and off. It wasn't too cold but the rain made it a little chilly and people were shivering and annoyed by this crazy weather. The lady running next to me is one of my running buddies and I enjoy running with her because she's very consistent and my personal pace-setter... lol! At one point during the race (as we ran past the Arroyo Seco and underneath Suicide Bridge) it rained so heavily that I could barely see and had to wipe my eyes repeatedly.
~
Oh, and how could I forget to talk about my locks! My locks were in a pony tail and I wore ear warmers but my locks soaked up all the water from the rain at the starting line and I spent a good 5 minutes wringing them out right before the race started. Since my locks had soaked up so much rain water, this added weight to my pony tail making it heavy but it didn't matter. I finished in a time of 2:14:25 (2 hrs. 14 min. 25 sec.) with a 10 minute/mile pace. My 10km split was 1:01:48. I had hoped to set a personal record by finishing in two hours but honestly I felt that the rain held me back just a little bit. No worries though, I am happy with my performance! Oh! By the way, when I crossed the finish line, it poured heavily again and then the sun came out and I could see a beautiful blue sky. :-| What gives? Anyway, I definitely plan to race again next year and i'm excited about this since this race is closer to home and will allow me to give the L.A. marathon a break.

9 comments:

Serving Christ said...

CONGRATULATIONS Girly!!! I am trying to train now for a half marathon, so I am excited. Now I am really inspired!

Anonymous said...

you should have run the entire marathon. i did, in the rain and all, and it was a great experience! can't call yourself a runner if you can't climb those hills. :). congrats on finishing the half though.

dewdrop said...

@SC: Thanks!
@Anon: No, I made the right choice not to run a full marathon because I did 2 years in a row and experienced some major set backs health wise because of it, so I decided to take it easy and run a half instead. Each person has to do what works for them. Trust me, i've climbed many hills during my 23 years as a runner. ;-D Thanks again for the support!

Sunny said...

Good for you Kalia!

Naturally Sophia said...

Good for you! What is your workout routine like? You have great muscle tone!

phenomenallocz said...

Congrats on your half marathon! That's awesome!!!!

dewdrop said...

@Everyone: Thanks!

@NS: I like to do my long runs (7-10 miles) on Sat. mornings and if I have time during the week then i'll do a few short runs (3-6 miles).

Allecia said...

Congratulations! You're quite the trooper. I can't imagine that a wet run is very much fun. I HATE hills. I did a half in northern Arizona that was straight uphill for about 4 miles, then a turnaround and back downhill. Never again! That's just not fun to me.

Joy said...

That's awesome! Let your light shine as inspiration to others.