April 15, 2009

Lobster Tail on the Runway

"Lobster Tail"
There is a funny story behind how I came up with this style, but before I share it with you let me tell you how I styled it. I overlapped sections of my locks into a basket weave starting from the front to the back, wrapped a hair band around the tail, covered the band with protruding lock strands and then covered the tail with a thin hair net. Bobby pins were used to hold the net in place and I added chopsticks for flair....oh, and I did this without using a mirror! It came out nicely, don't you think? This style reminds me of a lobster tail, hence the name.

Here's the story: As adventurous as I am, I tried something new that i've never done before just for fun.....modeling....more specifically a runway fashion show just because it looks so fun. I'm not signed with an agency, but instead I found an ad seeking runway models so I just showed up to a casting and they selected me (keep in mind I had no experience or pictures). So now you have an idea of how this all started. Anyway, I wore my locks freestyle at the 1st show (polka-dot dress pictured below) and even though I wasn't the only natural, I was the only locked head. At the 2nd show (yellow/purple dress) the hair dresser looked at my head like "What are those, braids?" and I already knew that I was on my own with styling my hair from that point, because he looked clueless about how to style nappy hair. I had to think quickly about what to do with my hair because the show would start soon. It was a 70's themed show so I was trying to think of simple 70 styles for locks and I had no luck. So in a frenzy and without a mirror, I just started basket weaving my locks by overlapping sections at a time and then wrapped a hair band around the tail. It still looked less 70's (in my humble opinion) so I took the hair dresser's bag of hair nets, luckily I found a black one, tucked the tail into a bun, covered the band with extra locks and asked one of the make up artists to pin the net into place. I said to myself, i'm going to make this work! I've never seen locked heads on the runway, so let me represent! People were giving me so many compliments about my hair and I thought 'thanks to Np and bloggers for your styling tips'. I'm not sure what locked styles they had in the 70's, so i'm assuming that people would have no clue as to what a 70's style would look like for us, but people believed it when I sported my lobster tail! I liked this style so much that of course I wore it for the next few days and changed it up a bit by adding chopsticks.



These photos are from the show so I thought i'd share them with you because who says that you can't sport locks on the runway? Top pics(L&R): 70's Fashion Show. Bottom pics(L): L.A. Fashion Week. Bottom pics(R): Matrix - photo shoot for a friend (this was when my locks were shorter and more golden brown....I was sporting a lock-hawk).

46 comments:

Loren said...

Kalia,
You are rockin' those locks. I wish mine were thick enough to pull off that style. My lock length is brastrap length. Luv your videos!!

Sunshine Sisterlocks said...

GORGEOUS!!!

Lumina said...

You look beautiful. I think you'd make a wonderful model.

sunsail said...

Girrrl, lemme tell you. You have mad skills. You did that hairstyle without a mirror?!?!? You are my she-ro!!

You look fierce and gorgeous all at the same time on the runway! I love how you can just pull a style out of a hat and represent!! I might have to steal your lobster tail style for my wedding!!! :)

sunsail said...

Btw, did you notice how the DJ is checking you out in the picture where you're wearing a purple dress? He-llo!!! :)

Penny said...

Like rupaul used to say""" U better work girl""" and like they say on top model"" You look F-F-FIERCE""". Ok it's official I am hatin" LOL Fantastic!! Look at you looking all Diva-ish :)
So what do model think about to keep that serious look cuz I would be cracking up the whole or have a silly grin.

dewdrop said...

@Everyone: Thanks for the compliments and support.

@Loren: I'm sure that you could pull off the same style even at your length. Maybe consider creating a coiled bun at your tail since your locks are longer.

@Sunsail: Oh no, that's not the DJ, that's the owner of the lounge making sure everything is in order. Sometimes you don't always have access to a mirror, so I managed to find one at the last minute just to make sure it looked alright at least. I had NP & blogging pictures scrolling through my mind trying to conjure up a style. It's a very plain style so make sure to add a hair accessory for flair: flowers, jewels, etc.

@Penny: I have no clue because that was my 2nd time walking. I told myself, 'walk slowly so that photographers can get good pics.' (because the runway was super short).

Alaiyo said...

Very Nice!

Fuchsia said...

Get it girl! go head now!

Wittychiq said...

You look like a veteran model on the runway. I really like the side profile picture.

NubianLockedPrincess said...

Girl! your locs are breathtaking as usual. I was cutting off over matted loc tips. Became so frustrated with some bunched locs that I began to take down my locs to end my journey. Once again, you saved my locs!

Those are some fabulous pix you have!

Sunny said...

Hey Kalia,

The pictures look great from the fashion show. I love the lobster tale. How long have you been modeling for?

Ciao!

anthia-ofo said...

You look like a pro. Absolutely beautiful. And how you managed that style in a few minutes...wow.

robinc3 said...

Loving the runway locks!!! You look beautiful on the runway. Love the Lost Art Photo pic.

peace&blessings ~robinc

Happiest Nappy said...

FA BU LOUS!!!!!

Get it then Girlfriend!

Serving Christ said...

Chile' you are DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!! Love the hair! Love the clothes! Love the look!
BEAUTY ALL AROUND!!

dewdrop said...

@Everyone: Thanks for the love!

@Sunny: I've been modeling for roughly 2 weeks on and off. I just do it whenever I feel like it since i'm only doing it for fun.

CaribSun said...

Your hair looks great as always. But more importantly, you look like you have been modeling your whole life. Fabulous!

msfullroller said...

Go'head girl! You looked fabulous!!

Nubian1 said...

Perhaps the first of many microlock wearers on the catwalk...well done!

Karen said...

Absolutely beautiful!!! I love this style on you. I can not believe you did this without a mirror. Talk about talent. I have to share this with my blog readers. They are gonna love it!

Thank you for sharing this with us.

new2locs said...

Kalia,
I've probably said this to you before but WHAT DON'T YOU DO! Girl you are awesome! I wish I only had a portion of the energy you have. I love the style but what's not to love your hair always looks fierce!

Queen Nat said...

Absolutely beautiful! I especially like the Matrix-photo shoot... that's a high fashion photo! You might as well start building your portfolio now because you just never know... LOL

euphoria said...

You look absolutly beautiful and the Matrix photo as Tyra Banks would say you look FIERCE!!! you never cease to amaze us that's why I love your blog

NappTown said...

You make everything seem so easy. That is why I admire the way you take care if your locks. You look great. You are definately a natural at modeling! Get it girl!

Linda said...

Girl, you were workin' it all the way around. It is inspiring to see someone try something new and make it work in a new way. You've paved the way for others to consider modeling with locks. You looked beautiful and certainly displayed an air of confidence on that runway. I'm lovin' your style and it gives me hope that I will be able to do the same one day. Keep on rockin' your style, in your way!!!

M. Kujenga said...

and did you represent! lol @ "what are those? braids?" Beautiful, esp. under pressure! Great job dear!

Anonymous said...

Girl thanks so much for the chic updo style for summer! I never thought I would say this, but I am tired of my pineapple. I will attempt this style (with a mirror) later on tonight!

Also you look FIERCE!!!!! I say represent your locs at the next America's next top model auditions. they are taking women under 5'7" now...

Sisterlocks Convert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sisterlocks Convert said...

Hi,
I was meaning to leave a comment as this post caught my eye - wow you look great and the pic with you in all black is definately a great pose. Your hair is looking fab. Thanks for stopping by my blog :) peace

Anonymous said...

WORK-it girl!

knotsnlocks said...

lookin good dew, lookin like a seasoned pro!

Lalaboobaby said...

Oh so beautiful! You were truly representing the locks. YOU GO GIRL!

Nu-Me said...

Kalia, very nice pics you represented SL's very well!

Photogenic said...

You rocked out girl! Pure HAWTNESS!! I especially love the very last photo. DOPE!!

Amba said...

Ooh wow! I haven't visited your blog for ages so I was pleasantly surprised. You are a born natural model. Simply stunning

Naturally Sophia said...

So lovely and multi-talented in every way imaginable!

dewdrop said...

@Everyone: Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! :-)

Chinue*s LLL Philosophy said...

You look stunning. Modeling is definitely your speed. I love your Lobster tail style too and the sticks. Definitely awesome.

Allecia said...

You looked stunning. You should look into signing with an agency.

Audrey's Pleasure said...

Fierce, fabulous, dope....you and your hair. i just love your blog.

dewdrop said...

Thanks!

@Allecia: I actually looked into several and sent in my info, but I haven't heard back from any of them. They are very particular about who they want. I'm not getting my hopes up though only because it's an industry with a high-turn over rate of models.

Maryia said...

Hi how are you do you have any advice for me im looking to start modeling myself

dewdrop said...

@Maryia: The best advice can be found on the internet since i'm not an expert. I just researched information about different kinds of modeling and what agencies require. I just tried this for fun with a friend and it's not something I plan to make a career out of since it's so short term. You can also search for castings online and that should give you a good idea of what's involved in this industry. Hope this helps & good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

Stunning!

Keep It Knotty Ya'll said...

WOW! I never saw these before! Amazing!!!