May 05, 2009

Brushing my locs


Using a soft bristle baby brush on my roots

I kept my roots slightly dampened for easier brushing and massaging.

Look at all that yummy new growth! (4 weeks of growth)

So I did some research on NP about the benefits of brushing your locs and read about all the wonderful results. Apparently brushing does the following: remove lint and other debris, soften your locs, promote circulation, and distribute your natural oils along your scalp and locs. I never once tried brushing my locs for fear of messing them up, but my curiosity took over. I read about using a soft-bristle boar brush so I went to my beauty salon to buy one but they only had a double sided one (1 side soft, the other side hard). Their other s.b.b's had light colored bristles that were shedding from the brush and I thought 'no, if they become stuck in my locs then they will show and they're so small'. I tested out the brush on the end of my loc but found that even the soft bristle boar brush snagged my locs like velcro. Sigh... I don't know if this is due to my loc size or what. Then I looked up and saw a set of baby brushes. It was as soft as the s.b.b but the clerk told me it would loose it's stiffness and become softer with use. I didn't mind because I wasn't trying to tear up my locs or anything. I went ahead and purchased it for $2 and tried it out on my roots when I returned home. I went through several rows, lightly water-spritzed my roots and brushed just my roots downward and away from the scalp. After I went through my entire head then I bent over and massaged my scalp. I read that some lockers do this before a wash or their next re-ti varying anywhere from once a month to every few days. Since my re-ti is this week, I chose to try it out before hand. Since the bristles were soft they didn't penetrate my scalp as much but I knew that anything harder on my scalp would either cause damage, snag my new growth or rip my roots. It's baby steps for now but it's a start.

UPDATE 5/10/09: So as much as I enjoyed brushing my roots, I realized that it wouldn't be ideal for me to do this all the time because my roots are very soft and strands have a tendency to slip out the lock when I brush. I have more fuzziness and it's not that I don't mind it, but it can be a problem when tightening my locks just because i'm pulling strands from neighboring locks and it becomes one big married mess.

12 comments:

Sunny said...

Good idea girl - clean and organized locks. ;)

phephi said...

i've heard about brushing locs and wondered...hmmmm, sounds interesting. but doing it w/a baby brush makes way more sense. i cannot wait to incorporate everything i learned into my journey. great job!!

Chinue*s LLL Philosophy said...

Yes, indeed, I read about them too. I see the benefits of doing it. I am still hesitant though, since my locks are still in a fragile state and easy to fuzz. Maybe a couple months down though, and definitely with a soft brush. Kudos to you though!

Robyn said...

I like to brush my locks too!
{Although I have not tried that yet with this new set}....

Take care~

Happiest Nappy said...

Was wondering, what if one (Meeee) colors the locks with a semi-permanent color? I have a feeling it may not be conducive for my SLs. I am finding that I need to color more often already...soft brushing might counter my efforts.

It does seem like it would feel nice though. I am one to let anybody with clean hands massage my scalp though! Just sayin...

3girlsmomma said...

Congratulations!

I have nominated YOU and YOUR BLOG for the Kreativ Blogger Award.

Visit http://esandb.blogspot.com/2009/05/kreativ-blogger-award-thx-docs-locs.html
for the terms of acceptance.

Congrats again!! Keep doin’ what you do so well… representing natural beauty—mind, body & spirit—in the blogosphere!

Khandi said...

Oh wow good idea. I was thinking the other week of a method i could use to stimulate my scalp. I had heard of someone using a microfibre cloth (which doesn't shed) and rubbing their scalp. I do like the brush idea. Would be interesting to see what affect it has for you

dewdrop said...

@Everyone: So as much as I enjoyed brushing my roots, I realized that it wouldn't be ideal for me to do this all the time because my roots are very soft and strands have a tendency to slip out the lock when I brush. I have more fuzziness and it's not that I don't mind it, but it can be a problem when tightening my locks just because i'm pulling strands from neighboring locks and it becomes one big married mess.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if combing with ones fingers is just as good, going to try that for now.
Denny

Naturally Sophia said...

I just read your update. I have so many fuzzies already I dared not try it for fear that I would have some slippage. Glad you posted on this though!

dewdrop said...

@Anon: I think that would fall along the lines of a massage but it doesn't hurt to try. Let me know what happens because i'm curious now.

dewdrop said...

@3girlsmomma: Thank you for nominating me and my blog for the Kreativ Blogger Award. I am honored!