May 10, 2009

Switching Locking Patterns

I'm changing my pattern from a 4 pt. to a 3 pt. for a few reasons. When my locs were first installed, my consultant used a reverse 4 pattern and then switched to a 3 pt. pattern on my hair (after a few months) because this would allow my coils to expand and mesh with some room rather than feel choked. She showed me the visible differences between both patterns on her locks and I could see a major change. Her 4 pt. locs looked thinner and tighter, but appeared to have lacked room for the strands to coil around itself properly. The good thing about a 4 pt. is that it creates a tighter lock. Then she showed me her 3 pt. locs and they had a really cylindrical look to them and looked fuller as if the coils had room to mesh, tangle and shrink. The good thing about a 3 pt. is that is looks a little fuller. I had to discontinue my visitations with her even when a SL class was not available at the time, and I only knew about the 4 pt. from my research online. I always thought that a 3 pt. would make my hair fuller than I wanted it to be, but looking at the state of my locs now is making me reconsider this option. I've been using this pattern since my first day as a DIYer and I noticed some changes in my locs. 1) Some of my locs are much thinner than I want them to be, 2) some of them looked a little choked and looked as if they were fighting to expand but couldn't, and 3) i've over-tightened at times and this has weakened the shaft of some of my locs. I have a few medium sized locs so i'll continue using the 4 pt. pattern on them just so that they won't expand as much. I'm changing my pattern because I do want my locs to be a little fuller and less stringy in the back and sides of my head where it has less density, and I want to strength my locs and allow meshing space. I can only speak for my head of hair and what my locs are currently going through so i'm going to try this and see what happens. The good thing is that i'm switching my pattern on my new growth so i'll be able to monitor the change from what my colored hair looks like now.

8 comments:

NubianLockedPrincess said...

I changed to a 3pt.on the front portion of my head, A few months ago because I wanted fuller locs. I really do not see a difference in the appearance of my 4pt and 3pt locs. Maybe when they begin to mature the difference will be seen.

Naturally Sophia said...

From what I've heard from my consultants, 3 pt allows you to see more of your hair texture and less pattern (i.e. look more locked). As a benefit, your retightenings will take less time :)

dewdrop said...

@NLP: I'll be checking your progress to see too!

@NS: Oh I know!! As I was tightening my new growth for the past 2 days, I went through sections much faster and with ease. Based on what your consultant said, I believe that she's right and seeing more of my hair texture and less pattern is what i'm trying to achieve now. That's really good to know and thanks for sharing this tid bit of information.

Chinue*s LLL Philosophy said...

Hey Kalia,

I definitely see the points that you are making. I am strongly considering changing to a 3 pattern now.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and giving me some tips too.:)

ashleyjoy said...

What would the 3 point pattern consist of? Making a triangle instead of a circle, as in 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock, 12 o'clock, etc...

dewdrop said...

@ashleyjoy: NubianLockedPrincess explained it best in her blog: http://nubianlockedprincessnyc.blogspot.com/2008/10/interlocking-patterns.html ...she said its 9-6-9-12. I'm right handed so it's easier for me to go in a 3-6-3-12 direction. To me it doesn't really make a difference where you start just as long as you follow the same pattern in that direction.

Penny said...

What if you are not DIY all the time?? Sometimes I DIY and Sometimes when I don't want to be bothered I go to my consultant who does a 4pt pattern. Will it matter? Will it make you lock look skinny fat skinny fat... don't know... I know the back of my head definately needs a 4 pt pattern cuz its still prone to slip somewhat... Definately something to think about.. Indeed.... Thanks girl for posting about this...cuz if you didn't I wouldn't read it...

dewdrop said...

@Penny: How you or your consultant maintain your locks will determine the outcome. I can't really tell you what to expect, but I have heard that switching back and forth between patterns will change the appearance of your locks.