June 01, 2009

Lazy Locs

Lounge Locs
Whenever lounging at home, this is the style that i've been wearing lately in order to keep my locs out of my face without having to use my hair tie. Now that my locs have reached a decent length to achieve this style, it's easy for me to just take the sides and tie them into large knots, as if I were tying my shoe laces before making a bow, and just leave the middle locks alone so that a tail is left hanging. I tie a knot and tuck in the ends so that they'll stay in place and not cause the style to loosen up too much. Even though my locs are long enough to make this style, they are not long enough or they are too thick to keep my knots from unraveling. I can get by with this for now at home and re-knot it when it falls, but this is a style I will wear in public once my locs are long enough to stay in place without loosening up. This is a good alternative to wearing my hair bands because i'm tender headed and anything too tight around my head is unbearable at times.  Below is a 2011 video tutorial:


____________________________________________________
Lazy Curls
I used my Lock Loops to loosely roll my hair because I had a singing engagement and wanted to create loose curls just at the ends of locks. Instead of diligently rolling each section tightly, I just grabbed an uneven number of locks in several large sections and rolled them. This is how my hair normally looks after wearing curls for one week and I wanted to create the same look for just this engagement because I prefer this style over having tighter curls all the time.

17 comments:

Serving Christ said...

I love the styles. I will be so happy when my loc babies grow longer to at least get them in a ponytail!! I am still cranking away at 8 months.

Loc on girl!

msfullroller said...

I like these too!

PhePhi said...

i like the loose curls. very nice.

www.allaboutphe.blogspot.com

cheleski said...

very sexy~! i like!

Allecia said...

I like this. How long did it last?

K said...

Hi Kalia,
I have a quick question. Your locks are so full and thick, compared to others I've seen with sisterlocks, who seems to be quite thin as they grow out and achieve length. Do you attribute your thickness to anything, besides your natural hair grade? Is there anything else you do, (changing your pattern or anything) that gives you such full and thick locs?

Kitty said...

I love your SL, you always have such nice styles, can't wait to have my SL installed.

QueenLi said...

Very Nice! I am glad you will keep your locks! :)

Take care~
"Spiral-Loc"

dewdrop said...

Thanks everyone! I'm glad i'll keep my locks too.

@Allecia: The loose curls have lasted three days now, but I plan to wash my hair this evening.

@K: No, I don't do anything at all. My hair has always been thick and full since I was little. My thickness and density are genetically from my dad and my growth is from my mom whose hair grows faster than mine. I switched my pattern from a 4pt. to a 3pt. because I don't like how tight my locks look, and a 3pt. will make them a little fuller than they are....in addition to my already thick hair.

Meikmeika said...

She's Back!! Love both styles!!!

Euphoria's Sisterlocks said...

as usual very creative and inspiring, I am glad you decided to stay locked.

JamakaRed said...

Hi Dewdrop,

I always read your blog but never post. Your locks are beautiful. I have taken many of your suggestions..i.e. color I have also colored my locks and they came out decent. Not as great as your color, it didn't take all the way through I have a bunch of hair but the results were nice. I also just did your "lounge Locks" look last night and I absolutely love it. It kinda looks like a mohawk from the front and I leave the nape hanging it will be my new style. I am locked 4.5 years and love my sisterlocks. Keep on posting you give great ideas and great instructions!

Chinue*s LLL Philosophy said...

The lounge look is probably the classiest casual style I have seen and I am definitely digging that lazy curls look. Keep 'em coming!

nappyme said...

Gorgeous! I love the loose curls. I've done them on twists, but they don't always cooperate because twists are looser than locks and so that can make curls on twists have a mind of their own.

Pink Carnation Maryann said...

What are those sponge thing-ies that you made lazy curls with?

Pink Carnation Maryann said...

Woa! Your lounge locs look good!

dewdrop said...

@PCM: Thank you! Those sponge thing-ies are called LocLoops and they are very soft to sleep on and roll your locks on versus the old school sponge rollers. Here's the link: http://www.lockloops.com/ Some of my photos are posted in her gallery on the site if you scroll to the bottom.