June 01, 2009

What Have I Decided?

After really thinking about this, weighing my options and looking at what changes I would need to make if I chose to take down my locks, I decided to keep them after all. The feelings I had about my hair and what to do with it were genuine and I don't regret taking the time out to reflect and even attempt to take down a lock or two. How did I come to this conclusion? Well, after I took down the first lock (as mentioned in the previous post) I assumed that it wouldn't be difficult based on previously successful attempts made with my first two sets of locks. When I attempted to take down a second lock (from the back of my head this time), I found it to be very time consuming and difficult if I may add. Well of course! I had only been locked 2.5 years and even though I knew that unlocking mature locks would be more challenging than baby/teenage locks, I was curious and thought that it wouldn't hurt to try. After taking down half of the second lock after more than an hour I just said forget it. Is this really worth it?
~
During my normal Saturday morning run over the weekend, this time in slightly drizzly weather, I had a flash back of how my loose napps reacted to moisture while running outdoors and was quickly reminded of how easy it was to have my locks remain the same in similar conditions. The last few nights of sleeping without a satin scarf (because I was too tired to put one on...lol!...but I slept on a satin pillow case), and waking up to my hair looking the same as it did the day before, and using my water spritz to revive it also reminded me of how much freedom I had with my spritz-n-go locs. But what really did it for me was when I was asked to volunteer my time at a workshop presentation a few days ago and had to put my hair in a quick but presentable half-updo. I looked in the mirror before I left and liked what I saw and thought, 'You know what? I really like the freedom that my locs give me.' After that I decided to keep them and continue my journey but work on changing my attitude about my maintenance routine. I haven't been styling my locs as much lately and so I became bored with it and I think that's why I was looking to do something different with my hair. Now I know that all I need to do is to think of creative styles and then i'll be fine.
~
So what did I do with the the two unlocked portions of my hair? I made a braidlock with the first lock I took down, and I twisted the second one in the back so now i'm in business. They blend in pretty well too. There are a few more locks that are still too thin and need more support, so I might combine them. I'll need to tighten my roots soon so knowing that I have fewer locks to tighten will make my re-ti's more tolerable.

10 comments:

Serving Christ said...

Glad you made a decision that will work for YOU!! Congratulations.

Sunny said...

Good for you girl. ;)

cheleski said...

decisions, decisions...i would have been devastated watching you take down for a 2nd time.thankyou! fore leaving them be:_)

***Sisterlocks*** said...

YAY!!!!! I have to admit, I'm kind of relieved! lol! I think almost everyone goes through a time like that at some point. I know I'm kind of curious to see how I would look with loose hair too but at the end of the day I just kind of know I wouldn't love it as much. I'm glad to see them stay! =)

dewdrop said...

@Cheleski: Awe! I know, but my reflection time helped me to put things into perspective again.

Nu-Me said...

Your hair is beautiful and I'm glad you decided to keep them. Thanks so much for all the information that you continue to post on your blog. It is truly very helpful!

Meikmeika said...

Sometimes it takes moments of reflection to make a sound decision.

YingYangGurl said...

What ever decision works for you ... but I was secretly rooting for the locks. They are absolutely beautiful

Chinue*s LLL Philosophy said...

So interesting how the Universe can show us signs that leads us into the right direction for us. I am glad you listened. :)

aybee77 said...

Of course you have to do what works for you first of all, but I have to say that I'm glad you kept them also. Only because I've locked many times in the past, and I think you have as well. You responded to me some time ago on napp.com, and I looked to you as an inspiration for finally doing it for good. :-)