August 06, 2009

Video: How to Fix Holes In Your Locs



This video is based on this post except I focused on fixing the hole in the middle of my lock instead. This particular lock is the same one from this other post when I took down my locks to check the length and decide whether or not to keep locking my hair or become a loose nappy again. After I decided to keep my locs I made a plait (or BL) with this particular loc. Two months later I had some terrible bunching along the shaft because one strand had been accidentally pulled in the middle and bunched up the lock, causing the middle to hang on for dear life with a big hole and just a few strands to support it. I had no choice but to fix it or else risk losing it later on from weakness and breakage in the middle.

In this video I picked out half of the lock and interlocked it from the tip to the middle only because I had crazy bunching going on. It's not necessary to do what I did in order to seal up your hole, and you could easily interlock the loc's shaft right where the hole is.

8 comments:

Naturally Sophia said...

Great video! I wish I new about this before the holes in my locks matted together on their own. Doing this would have made a more consistent lock as far as size.

Your blog is so helpful!

Kicukalah said...

Thank you so much. I have had holes in my locs since the beginning and you told me how to do this, but now I can actually see it. This helps a great deal.

Bajan Lily said...

You've made this look so easy! Thanks

NubianLockedPrincess said...

Thank God I did not have that problem. Thanks for making that vid!

nicole is the new black said...

i have holes in mine already and its hasnt even been 3 months. They coming along though. glad to have this trick in my arsenal!

dewdrop said...

I'm glad that you have a visual of what i'm talking about because it was really hard to explain at first just in text. I didn't film the entire latching from the tip to mid-way only because it took me such a long time to even latch up the bottom half considering how long my hair was when unlocked. Focusing on just the last few latches to seal up the hole was a better idea I thought.

PhePhi said...

i've been locking for 4 months & i may have 1 or 2 locs w/holes. i will definitely refer to this vid to repair 'em if they get too out of hand. very informational. thanks!!

Rashida Chinue Blake said...

This is so awesome. Your tutorials are always right on. I have had to correct holes in my locks sometimes especially since they still get problematic at times, so this is very helpful.