October 19, 2009

Changes In Maintenance

Changing Patterns:

Six months ago I switched my locking pattern from the 4 pt. to the 3 pt. for various reasons. Someone even asked me if I noticed a difference in the size or shape of my locks since then and to be honest with you, nothing has changed. With the 3 pt. my locks still look the same, they're the same size and i'm not sure why. One thing I know for sure is that i'm experiencing more fly-away hair strands and slippage at the roots with surrounding new growth. I'm having more problems with loose strands near my roots ever since I switched, but this is not to say that this is the result if you switch to a 3pt. I figured that if everything about my locks is constant except for the fly-aways, then I might as well just go back to using the 4 pt., and that's exactly what I did last weekend when I tightened my roots.


Changes in my re-tightening schedule:

For several months I was able to tighten my locks for a few hours over a two-day period and that worked fine for me. Now that my locks are getting a little longer I find that it's taking me a little longer too and my arms were getting tired from holding them up, even with breaks. I made a choice to make my re-ti's easier on myself by dividing my schedule. Instead of a 2-day period once a month, i've decided to tighten the front half for a few hours one weekend, and then tighten the back half for a few hours the next weekend. Things have been so much easier ever since I switched to this schedule in August so it's a keeper. I still use my NL tool and my latch-hook is on standby in case I need it for bigger locks.



Changes in lock weight:

Okay, I know that locks become heavy for some people and not at all for others, but I must be honest with you about my locks. I know that my they are thick, dense and growing like crazy and even though they are nearly arm pit length, I will admit that I feel a little bit of weight with them. The weight is felt more when I wear a lock puff/tail or bun and it pulls sometimes, so I limit how often I wear these styles. Now the weight that i'm feeling isn't unbearable or anything, but for me it's an indicator that I will most likely feel more weight if they double in length. Who knows? This is how it feels as of right now. I'm sure this case is different for those with thinner locks growing past their shoulders. Is it? Maybe hair thickness/thin-ness and density play a role in the weight of our locks. Someone please fill me in because i'd like to know. Thanks.

13 comments:

Felicia said...

You are such an inspiration to those of us who think that we have to be lockticians to retighten our hair. Please continue to share. I am planning to become a DIYer and I'm kind of scared, but when I begin to feel this way, blogs such as your offer such encouragement. Thank You!!!

Nihu said...

Dew, my locks don't feel heavy at all, except for when I am shampooing them and they are full of water and shampoo. If they didn't keep falling down in my face when I free style I probably wouldn't even notice them. As always,your locks are gorgeous and have really grown a lot.

JamakaRed said...

Hmm, My locks are longer and I don't feel the weight at all. The only time I feel the weight of them is after washing.

Natural High said...

Hi Dewdrop,

Do they feel heavier when they need to be retightened? I ask because even eventhough my locks are still short. I notice they feel a little heavy when I need a retight. Just wanted to know if you experience this.

Anonymous said...

my locks are extremely heavy when swimming or when shampooing. They are four years old and I am thinking of cutting them in April

Rashida Chinue Blake said...

I looove your locks, look how much they've grown! WOOOOOW! Yes I can imagine how tiring they have become to maintain now. I will be following your progress closely with that lol.

Anonymous said...

Dewdrop,
You have seen my locs (corazoncillo.blogspot.com). My retightening takes me about 10-12 hours total, over 2-3 days (usually Friday-Sunday!). I have the 4pt (reverse 4?) pattern. I retighten every 4 weeks, and I have to do about 1.5-2 rotations on average, for every loc. Any less than that, and they are not retightened enough and I will only have a longer time 4 weeks later. Plus a lot of the time is spent banding/clipping locs away so that I don't grab hairs from other locs since my locs are so springy. I have about 390-ish locs (down from 463 when I started - I've combined many). I have tried to do retightenings over 2 weekends instead of one like you're doing now, but then it just shortens the "free" time that I have between retightenings, so doing it all at once over one weekend has been best so far. Just wanted to post this and see if anyone else has a similar situation as me. Dewdrop - do you have any comments for me? :) Thank you.

Quietspirit said...

When my locks were past my shoulders I did notice the weight whenever I wore them in any type of ponytail, especially when I wore it on top of my head. I thought it might be due to the minor nerve problem I have in my neck but in retrospect it was the locks. They always felt lighter just hanging loose krimped, curled or freestyled.

dewdrop said...

@Felicia: Just dive into becoming a DIYer because that's the only way you'll ever learn. Don't be afraid.

@Natural High: They don't feel heavier when I need to re-ti, only when I wash them.

@Quietspirit: You're absolutely right! I've noticed that they feel lighter when they are styled.

@Anon: I followed your schedule for my re-ti's before I needed to change my routine. I actually find that I have more free time when I break up my re-ti's over two weekends, and it takes me fewer hours to finish. There are others following your schedule and it's working for them too, so you're not alone. Thanks for sharing and keep doing what works best for you!

Naturally Sophia said...

No comments realted to the post today except that I thank you for posting your changes and your hair is as fab as ever.

anthia-ofo said...

I've changed the way I Retight too. I used to try to beat my previous rethight time and realised I was unconsciously stressing myself out. Instead, I decided to take a rather laid back approach, doing small sections at a time. It took me about 10 days of doing a bit here and there,(I think I skipped 2-3days) but I had No aching arms or back and barely noticed that I was doing my hair. My concern had been - like someone mentioned, not having enough free time between, but perhaps for me it's not really a concern b'cos it felt so easy doing it this way. Who knows, I may change again but this is a good option.

cheleski said...

YEP, heavy /in the way..i try not to complain bc it's a new experience-but i often want them out of the way.

NapNatural6485 said...

okay so here's the deal...I have had my sisterlocks for a little over a year and i have been re-ti my own hair for about six months because i cannot afford to get them done it takes me a cple of days as well to do them myself and now it feels like my hair is getting thin at the roots where i tighten them i do them the correct way the 3,6,9 and 12 o' clock rotation and i'm beginning to get a little afraid that as they mature they will break off and im terrified of that. i look at a lot of your videos on youtube and u help me out so much so i was wondering if you had any suggertions for me to fix this please help.