December 31, 2009

Update: Loose loc became extension loc

Do you recall this post from May about how I took down one of my locks? Well here is an update. I had re-locked this loose strand by latching it back up and it has been 7 months since then. As your already know, when you take down your locks then you will shed a certain amount of hair. Once you lock back up then your loc's length will be twice as short from the length it was before. I don't really have any problems with this short lock aside from the fact that it's visible and will stick out all over the place compared to my other locs which are twice as long and stay in place, so I decided to make some adjustments:
Step 1: The left loc is what most of my locks look like and the right loc is the one I had taken down back in May. This loc had shrunken considerably and bunched up all over the place and I only wanted to make this lock blend in with the rest of my locs in length and size.
Step 2: I took some kinky hair extension, pulled it through the middle of my loc's shaft using my latch hook tool, and began twisting the hair around the lock until it reached the desired length. The technique that I had used on Violet's locs is the same technique that i'd used to make this extension lock to match the size of my other locs.
Step 3: This is the outcome and it worked! My left loc is wavy because I wore a braidout that day, but the extension loc should blend in hopefully. I used dark brown kinky hair (it looks more black) and it's still somewhat visible if you're really staring at my head, but i'll just think of it as a stylish look.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Merry Christmas

The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel - which means, "God with us". ~Matthew 1:23. My Christmas was great and I spent time with my family and friends. I didn't do much to my hair except wear a braidout and that's about it. The good news is that my No-Reti Challenge will be over in another 2 weeks and the middle of my head is as big as a bush and it really needs to be tightened before it begins free-forming.

9 comments:

anthia-ofo said...

Looks like a real loc. I did this to a loc but the wrapped section came apart. Now I know why. I shd have pulled the fake hair THROUGH the loc, not just wrapped it.

Grace said...

Merry Christmas! God bless you:)

Queen Nat said...

You are such a blessing to the loc'ed community! Happy New Year to you!

dewdrop said...

Thank you ladies! Happy New Year to you as well!

@Anthia-Ofo: I think pulling the hair through the middle of the loc will help keep it in intact.

V. Stevens said...

Thank you, Dewdrop. I have 3-year old locks with about 20 shorter locks that do indeed stick out and keep my from wearing straight styles to work. My consultant offered to use lock extensions to even them out, but I declined becuase in teh sample that she gave me, the braided end (after my real lock finished) looked too out of place. She did use baby curly hair, and not kinky, though. For your lock extension, after you got to the bottom of your real lock, did you braid the rest of the kinky hair, or did you lock it? I ask because it looks like a real lock along the entire length. Thanks, Dewdrop!

dewdrop said...

@ V.Stevens: I wrapped the extension hair around itself to create the look of a lock and to make it more uniform. It's similar to wrapping a ribbon around a pencil just to give you an idea. You may not see it in these photos, but my ext. lock is darker than my other locks and it's noticeable, but it doesn't bother me.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, again, Dewdrop! So creative -- and I love your hair!

QueenLi said...

Interesting that you Pulled it through your lock. I just wrapped my ext. around my hair, and braided it down. It's been two years since I did this, and no slippage. I am now at the point of removing the ext. a few each week. I should be ext. free by June. ;)
Updates coming this March 2010.
take care~

dewdrop said...

@QueenLi: That's awesome and I can't wait to see your pictures once you've taken out your ext. I pulled it through my lock because the bunching was out of control and some parts needed support and I didn't want to deal with slippage just in case. It's good to know that yours stayed intact.