January 20, 2010

Lockversary!! (3 Years)

*~~*~~Today is my 3 year lockversary!~~*~~*

I'm glad that I made it this far because months ago I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep my locks, but now i'm glad that i've kept them. This year was spent experimenting with color, re-tightenings, fixing locks and minimal styling. For this upcoming fourth year I plan to experiment with newer styles based on all the wonderful Ytube video tutorials i've been watching, updo's in particular, and maybe try to accessorize more.

Several of my friends have admired my hair journey and have totally supported me in my nappiness now that they've realized how serious I am about my hair, LOL!. This is great because I really like my nappy hair and it makes me feel beautiful, and what better way to share this than with those who love and support you and your nappiness. One thing i've definitely learned since day one of my napptural life is that if you absolutely love yourself and your hair, then people around you have no choice but to love you and your hair as well. Your confidence does not give them permission to say negative things and in many cases will keep them silent. ;-) All of you beautiful nappies continue to inspire me and I appreciate every one of you because you've been my only support and nappy family since 2003, so thank you.
~

Keep it Loc'd!


ETA: Nappy Headed Black Girl asked me a question about my journey and i'd like to share my answer with everyone. She asked: "To celebrate 3 years in the game, will you share with us 3 things you've learned about your hair?" Of course!
~
Three things that i've learned about my hair are: 1) My thickness makes it harder to create certain styles sometimes, 2) My hair will continue to grow out and down versus straight down due to the thickness and density. My consultant explained this to me from the first day, and 3) The thickest parts of my locs are the bottom (due to coloring jobs which have expanded and bunched up my locs) while the thinnest parts of my locs are the entire shaft right above it (because I didn't color this part as much when my hair grew out). So basically it looks like this: @@@@@=========root.
~
Based on #3's observation i've been able to determine that my locks thicken even more when I color them, but when I don't color them then the thickness is controlled. I suspect that when the time comes to trim my ends, then my locks will look more like this: =========root. I'll probably do this once i've reached my desired length.

~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~

Salsa Bun --;--'-{@

I'm a salsera at heart (salsera=female salsa dancer) because salsa dancing brings me joy, creates a wonderful community of friends, is feminine and just plain sexy. I usually go dancing several times a month with friends and not only is it fun, but it's a great form of exercise. I've been dancing on and off for 3 years (when I started my locking journey) and I can't tell you how exciting this form of dance is. Normally i'll wear my hair down when I dance, but this time I wore a side bun tucked underneath with a hair net, and I attached my pretty flower accessory. This is ideal for all the spins and dips I have to do because my hair will stay out of the way. This is a simple yet elegant style for dancing. --;--'-{@

22 comments:

Alaiyo said...

Congratulations on your anniversary!

The Real Nique said...

Congratulations on your lockiversary! I agree with you about the confidence. If you are confident, they will see that and enjoy and appreciate your beauty that much more!

The Woman Inside said...

Congrats on your lock anniversary!!I have to thank you for being one of the bloggers who have been my inspiration. You are a wonderful teacher and a beautiful person. I come to your blog whenever I feel frustrated with my baby locks so thanx for sharing all that you share.

Naturally UniQue said...

Congratulations on your lock anniversary! You are a true inspiration to me. Your videos are excellent and help so many women manage their hair. Thank you for sharing so much with us!

Anonymous said...

Happy lockversary to you, yoru hair looks great and has grown so much in three years!

Denny

mogirl said...

Dewdrop,

Congratulations on your 3 year loc anniversary. Your locs are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks so much for all you to do help us along our own loc journeys. Your videos and tutorials are very informational. You are quite the inspiration.

Congrats again,
mogirl

Naturally Sophia said...

Oh so lovely! I love the bun. Happy Locksversary and many,many more!

Kicukalah said...

Happy Locversary!

Kicukalah said...

Happy Locversary!

dewdrop said...

Thank you for the wonderful wishes everyone!

@TheWomanInside: You're welcome sweetie. Take it one day at a time and enjoy every stage of your locks (growth and maturity) because you'll only be able to experience this once with this set of locs.

@NaturallyUnique/@Mogirl: While my blog and videos are helpful to you, they are therapeutic for me.

Afrolady said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

I am so glad that you stayed on your journey and didn't let frustration overtake you. You are such a beautiful young lady and a beautiful spirit also. A lot of us have come to trust your advice and lean on you for instruction and inspiration.

Your locs are absolutely amazing - anyone can tell that you have nurtured and loved them from day 1.

Congrats again.

Afrolady

knotsnlocks said...

3 years and growing! It's sooo full and pretty. Love the bun!

anthia-ofo said...

happy locvesary! Your hair always looks great, from year 1 till now.
I just hit my 2yr aniversary- today & tommorrow. How time flies when you're having fun!

Anonymous said...

This is Genesis from NP...Congrats on making it to 3 years. Thanks for commenting on my SL babies. I got a lonnng way to go.

Aya said...

Congratulations on three years with sisterlocks. As always, they are very beautiful. Thanks for all you do to promote sisterlocks.

dewdrop said...

@Afrolady: That's so sweet of you.

@Knotsnlocks: Thanks!

@Anon: You're welcome.

@Aya: I believe that I promote my DIY journey more than anything else, aside from the fact that I do have SLs, but thanks for your wonderful compliment. :-)

Helga said...

Wow! The hair looks amazing!!! Congrats, y que sigas gozando tu pelo y la salsa!!

cheleski(Shelll-skeeee) said...

i love this!

*~*Zina*~* said...

Congratulations!! You are an inspiration and more so because I remember we both bc'd right around the same time. Thanks for sharing so much with us and for spreading the love of natural hair!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 3rd anniversary!! Your locs are beatiful. When I get discouraged with mine (6 months w/ SL's), I look at ur vids for inspiration. Thanks for the vids and tips!!!

nappy headed black girl said...

Oh my, I'm drooling over the bun! It's beautiful...and very salsa-y lol

Hooray on hitting the 3 yr mark :thumbs up:

To celebrate 3 years in the game, will you share with us 3 things you've learned about your hair?

dewdrop said...

Thanks everyone!

@Anon: Just take it one day at a time. At one point I felt the same way when I had my baby locs, but they will mature in no time.

@NHBG: Thanks! Great question by the way, so i'll go ahead and include it in the bottom of my post.