February 10, 2010

Loc Bun w/ mesh doughnut

Loc Bun w/ mesh doughnut

Months ago I read Helga's post about this awesome black mesh doughnut that she had used to create her lock bun. Basically you pull your locks through the doughnut hole into a ponytail, fold your locks over the mesh part and secure it with another hair band. It's that simple.The material resembles our hair texture so it blends in well in case you see it through your napps/locs, it's soft but firm and perfect for creating an evenly shaped bun. I bought this doughnut months ago, but I never used it until the other day, and i'm happy to say that my locks are long enough to create a bun without my ends jutting out all over the place.
My locks are a little too long for this bun, especially after freshly latched locks, so i've had to tuck the ends around and underneath the bun so that it would look a little neater. I used a longer hair band to keep my bun in place and pulled a few strands out to make side bangs.

14 comments:

Karen said...

I like it. I wonder if it works for longer loc's?? I need some variety, so I will give it a try.

cheleski(Shelll-skeeee) said...

ooo nice dewy!! i like to wrap a scarf or put another scrunchi or anything to hide the hair sticking out also-but i know you prolly already did that look 2! love your locks!!!!! thinking about your color hard....i want it!

QueenLi said...

nice, very nice, but while I'm looking at it, what would top-it-off just right, is a long ribbon the same color blue as your top, wrapped around the bun in a bow, just as pretty as the flower in your previous post.
Take Care~

dewdrop said...

@Karen: I'm sure it does, but I think you would have to change how you wear it or use it in order to accommodate your length.

@Chel: Thanks! I like your scarf idea and i'll have to try that next time instead of leaving it so plain.

@QL: Oooooh, you have your creative juices flowing! I'll keep this in mind and thanks for sharing!

Queen Nat said...

You just have so much fun with your hair, that's so cool!

Fuesha said...

Lovely. I dont have enough to pull this off yet though. Maybe just maybe i might be able to pull off a very small one but i dont think i will try yet. Maybe at my 2 years!

Naturally UniQue Sisterlocks said...

Just beautiful. I remember doing this when my hair was relaxed because I was in the Air Force i had to wear it off my collar. I can't wait until my locks are long enough to pull this off!

Cokorain said...

I love the style and your locs! I can't wait until mine get that long.

Euphoria's Sisterlocks said...

Very pretty do you remember where you purchased it from

dewdrop said...

Thanks!

@Fuesha: I would wait until your locks grow a little longer.

@Euphoria: I purchased it from Sally's and they have two colors, black and beige.

BlaqKofi said...

Wow! How beautiful! Thanks for the photos and tip - I think I'll try it! Your locks are simply gorgeous. Sorry that I don't have time to read blogs - but glad I dropped by today. Much luv.

Naturally Sophia said...

Hi Kalia! Very pretty. I used to do mine with a sock, but now my hair is so thick and uneven, that I just can't get anything underneath it. Nice post!

3girlsmomma said...

You know what I've started experimenting with when doing buns? The hair net! It finishes a bun very nicely. Get the one with an elastic band.

dewdrop said...

@NS & BK: Thanks!

@3gm: Thanks for the suggestion. I've used my hair next maybe 3 times and my locks completely ripped it apart. Then again it was made of a very thin mesh material and now it's trashed, lol!