March 31, 2010

Hair Health & Products

Hair Health

My new growth shows signs of improvement and is on the road to health, but it's still recovering from the aftermath of coloring and pruning. In case you haven't noticed, I have many patches of new growth between my locks. Up close you can see my hair texture, tightly coiled, micro-spirals of c-napp hair. If you look even closer you'll notice little strands sticking out from this coil and this is the result from pruning my locks and popping strands from neighboring locks. My strands are nice and thick closer to the root, but much thinner closer to the tip due to numerous encounters with peroxide. Looking at these pictures make me aware of my hair's health and what I need to do to keep it healthy. I'm excited that my new growth is on the right road to health and I intend to keep it this way.


Hair Products
I've been searching for a new shampoo and conditioner because selsun blue shampoo is not working for me anymore, and I want to start conditioning my locks since my goal is to grow healthy hair. I reviewed NP's 10 Ingredients to Avoid and did a search on homemade products before trying or buying a new product.

Honey + H20
Three weeks ago I tried my honey/water mix to condition my scalp. At first I mixed 2 teaspoons of honey with warm water, added it to my bottle and began spritzing just my roots every morning. I found that warm water helps honey to melt faster. I continued doing this for 2 weeks and it was great because my scalp didn't flare up and it was moisturizing my hair. The only problem was that by the second week my bottle formed this putrid smell. When I did my last spritz for the week the smell stayed in my hair. Thinking that maybe I put too much honey, I poured out the liquid and started over by adding 1 teaspoon of honey to the bottle instead. I used my spritz for another week and the same stench returned after a few days. Adding E.O.'s was out of the question because my scalp reacts to them, so I avoid them at all costs. I spritzed my scalp again and the stench just reeked from my hair every time I turned my head. I couldn't stand it anymore so I washed my hair with shampoo. I don't know what happened. I used 100% organic honey with no additives, so i'm not sure why this smell kept combing back. Well, I guess it's back to the drawing board. Using natural conditioners is what I prefer right now since my scalp is sensitive to most commercial products.


BB's Shampoo


In my search for a shampoo that did not contain the ingredients listed on NP I finally remembered Burt's Bee products. This shampoo contains more natural ingredients and I was willing to give it a try. I've used it twice already in one week and so far it's helping. I haven't had any flare ups yet and it's still too early to determine anything right now. It's light, kind of watery, but has an incredible scent. I'll keep using this shampoo for now and i'll update you on my progress.

Update 4/6/09: This shampoo cleans my scalp, but it's drying at the same time which means that i'll have to limit how often I use it since i'm having flare ups.

11 comments:

rowada said...

Just another product you may want to try - I use Avalon Organics. Does not contain parabens, petroleum-based ingredients, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, or other harsh preservatives or chemicals, no synthetic fragrances or colors.

Mimi said...

I think the honey may be going bad in the water. You may want to try using some Vit E oil in the spritz to act as a preservative.

The knotty Truth said...

congrats-i love your camera close ups! hair looks very healthy! indeed!

Anonymous said...

the stench might have been from using the water/honey mix without a preservative included.

dewdrop said...

@Rowada: Thanks for the suggestion.

@Mimi: Good tip. Do you know how much I should put in my bottle?

@TKT: Those are hard to get, but my favorite.

@Anon: Trial & error, but thanks for letting me know. :-)

Mimi said...

I can't say exactly how much you should use but I usually open 4-5 capsules in my 8 oz bottle. I hope it helps.

Lisa said...

Hi Kalia, I am about to try 100 percent virgin coconut oil on my locs. Have you thought about trying that as a moisturiser on yours?. Once I have tried it I will let you all know how I got on. I have had a look at a few websites and Youtube and it has had extreemly good reviews for both skin and hair....

Lisa said...

Hi Dewdrop.....your locs are so beautiful!.......
I have just bought a jar of 100 percent pure coconut oil which is said to be fantastic on damaged skin and hair...have you ever tried it?

dewdrop said...

Thanks Mimi!

Hi Lisa, I don't use oils because they cause my scalp to flare up unfortunately. It doesn't matter how natural they are either, because i'm sensitive to some of them too. I'm glad that you found something that works for you and keep me updated on your progress. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dewdrop,

I'd like to add: what kind of water are you using? Tap water is a no-no.. I, personally, use distilled water in my mixes. I also add the oil from vitamin e capsules. Perhaps you can add some drops of Tea Tree Oil. Test things in the crook of your elbow before bed and check in the morning (at the very least) for an allergic reaction. Also, try doing a search on "natural preservatives for hair products" for more info. Good Luck!
just_locin_by . . .

dewdrop said...

Hi Anon,

Thank you for your suggestion. I use regular tap water and I still have yet to try the vitamin e capsules. I'm allergic to Tea Tree Oil so that's out of the question.