April 08, 2010

My First Re-Ti

Last week I completed my first re-tightening and it felt great! I checked my new growth during the 4th week, but didn't have enough then and had to wait longer. By the 5th week I checked it again and realized that I had enough growth to complete a full rotation using a 4 pt. pattern. Give or take I had a few locks that only allowed me to make three insertions. Using my latch hook I tightened every lock, but some of them were a little more challenging than others. The 2HD's with fat ends required me to pull them through one at a time instead of together. This wasn't a problem for my skinny 2HD's. From now on I know that i'll have to keep doing this unless I snip off one them, otherwise it's not a major issue. I enjoy how they look and I plan to keep them for as long as I can.

My scalp is looking pretty healthy, so I know that this is a good sign. I tightened my locks on damp hair since it's more pliable when wet and made sure to incorporate loose strands as I tightened.


This section once had two rows, but now they are one.


Here is another view of my locks and i'm pleased to say that shampooing and rinsing my scalp is so much easier.



Freshly latched and feeling good! My re-ti went by so much faster that when I finally finished my entire head, I couldn't believe that I was already done! This time I didn't get a chance to keep track of the time since I just worked on a few locks through out the day between other activities. Next time i'll be sure to keep track and update you on how long it takes me to complete my re-ti. Let me end this post by saying that i'm very happy with my decision to combine, my re-ti's and rinses are easier and i'm excited with how my locks are growing out. I can't wait until they are more visible because right now you can only see my roots, but they still look good. =)

18 comments:

Saabira said...

Oh your hair look so gorgeous. I swear every now and then I thinking about making mine bigger as well. I have not had that strong urge to so, so Ill just keep admiring yours from afar.

Mrs. Honey Dip said...

Looking good!!

BlaqKofi said...

Lovely. I'm proud of you. What empowerment to be able to manage our own crowns of glory. You go girl!

The knotty Truth said...

yes ditto what Blaq said-but ive felt that way about you all along:) whether sl'd or traditionally L'd.
I love, love, LOVE the look, I think your about to fall in love with this set! they are uniquely yours-which is what makes them so special:)

cheleski

Kitoko Nakimera said...

Very pretty. Your hair is looking very good. I am only two weeks locked so you are an inspiration.

msfullroller said...

Looking good there Sis!!

Crystal A said...

Dew Drop, I cannot wait to see your locs in 6 months! I`am sure they will look as beautiful as the SL set!

E. RaMona (Alaiyo) said...

luv, luv, luv them!!!

dewdrop said...

Thanks everyone!

@Saabira: Thanks! Your locks are gorgeous just the way they are, but when that time comes to make them bigger then you'll know.

@Blaq: Isn't it? It's so awesome!

@Knotty:I think that i've already fallen in love with them. I'm just waiting patiently for them to grow out. ;-)

@Kitoko: I saw your photos and your hair is lovely. Keep me posted on your journey and congrats!

@Crystal: You're getting me so excited now! I was just thinking about this too the other day! It has been 4 months since my Lockversary and i'm beginning to see them change. It's exciting to watch!

Allecia said...

Yup, your locks do look good. Congrats on getting to a place where you're happy with your locks.

Anonymous said...

HI there ms.kahlia! by the way, it would be nice if you had an email address listed so that people could send questions or comments directly to you.
i currently have a relaxer. i'm tired of the creamy crack and trying to figure out what else i can do, or how i can trasition to some kind of natural style without chopping all my hair off. i have about a one-inch growout of natural hair since i haven't been to the stylist in about 2 months. i get all excited about going natural somehow but then i don't know exactly HOW to transition so i make my appointment to get my relaxer(sigh), while i still try to figure it out.
what can i do with my hair? it's shoulder length with about an inch of new growth. can i start locking the new growth without cutting all my relaxed hair off?
thank you. you can email me at laylacasaus@yahoo.com. thanks.

dewdrop said...

@Allecia: Thanks.

@Anon: I was in your shoes once with "being excited about going natural, not knowing how to transition and then perming again as a result". It is possible to lock your new growth without cutting off your relaxed hair, but you will have two different textures in your hair and the relaxed part will not lock at all. A more discreet way to transition with permed hair is with braidlocks or sisterlocks and then you can snip your ends off little by little as you acquire more new growth. If you're not ready to lock then you can transition with kinky twist hair extensions or braids. Visit lockuniversity.blogspot.com for albums of loc'd heads that transitioned from permed hair. You might have to search a little, but you'll find them.

QueenLi said...

Greetings Dewdrop~
Your hair is nice, very nice~
I am currently doing a "Re-Ti" right now, and *sigh* it is making me *think* about combining some locks. Only I like the way it looks now so I guess I will make the choice later this year or next year. I got about 50 more locks to go. I work at about 1-2 hours a day.

Take care~

dewdrop said...

QueenLi,

If you're happy about the way it looks now then don't change it. I had to change mine for obvious reasons, but the most important thing is to be happy with them the way they are.

Peace and Sound said...

Hi Dewdrop! I LOVE your blog and visit almost every day! I consider your hair as my "loc twin" mostly because of the density and the age of our locks. Mine were 3 in August, though you started with longer hair than mine-my length is shy of yours but the loc size was almost the same, except I started my locs traditionally and learned to latch them after a year or twisting.

You're my inspiration because you are so meticulous and diligent. Although I don't spend as much time as I need to on my hair, when I see you moving right along, it lights a fire for me to get it moving!

I have had no camera since November so I haven't updated in a long time, but I have combined my locs since I became ill and my hair was thinning. I haven't lost any locs, thank the Lord, but I didn't want to wait and see if I would! So soon as I can, I'd love to share pictures with ya-sorry so long. my blog is www.thekitcehnsalon.com

Keep up the great work!!!

Audrey's Pleasure said...

and another thing, traditional locs always look stronger and thicker to me.

dewdrop said...

@Peace&Sound: I just looked at your blog the other day! I'm sorry to hear about your health, but i'm glad to know that you are in good spirits. I'm looking forward to your updates, so let me know when you have more pics. to share with us! :-)

@Audrey: It's been so long since i've heard from you. How are you? I definitely agree with you and i'm aiming for stronger locks.

Lisa said...

I have been following your blog for over two years and I love your locs they are so beautiful!....and I can imagine how good they are going to look in the next six months or so!!....