June 22, 2010

Aloe Vera Juice

I'll admit that i'm a little late in the game, but it's never too late to learn about finding the most effective product for your beautiful napps.  A few weeks ago I read several posts on NP.com about using Aloe Vera Juice (AVJ) as a natural moisturizer, leave-in conditioner etc. This sparked my interest because I do want to keep my locs healthy and strong, mainly my new growth and new set of locs,.  Since i've used  f.o.t.e. Aloe Vera Gel in the past for my twists I knew that I would probably tolerate the juice version.  After some research, product and price comparison and a few phone calls later, I bought a 16 fl oz. $4 bottle of AVJ  from my local natural foods and herbal store.  Then I bought a mini spray bottle to make my own mix and keep both bottles refrigerated.  I never found a definite answer on NP as to whether or not it should be diluted or how often it should be used, so here is my mix: 1/2 water,1/2 AVJ.

Initially I sprayed this on my scalp everyday, but then I had this weird unusual reaction where my head felt hot like I had a fever, and i'm not talking about the little tingling sensation.  I thought maybe I was using it too often and should use it occasionally or after I wash my hair instead .  I gave my scalp a break for the last two weeks and starting using it again today, so this time i'll space it out to 1-2x a week depending on how my scalp feels. Maybe i'll focus on spritzing my new growth instead of my scalp.  I could care less about the rest of the loc because it's old, damaged hair anyway and my goal is to grow healthy hair.

If AVJ works out well for me and if my scalp can tolerate it, then i'll add this product to my routine.  So now I have two conditioners/moisturizers:  
Egg/Mayo deep conditioner treatment (every 1-3 months)
AVJ spritz (maybe 1-2x / week)

To my fellow nappies: How do you use AVJ in your routine and what has been your experience?

8 comments:

V said...

Looking forward to hear how this works out. Sinced I dyed my hair I really need to start keeping it mositurized. I have a bottle of AJV in the house but i drink it for its health benefits, I guess it wouldn't hurt on my head!

Are you still running?

anthia-ofo said...

When I use AVJ, I dilute 1:1 with water.

dewdrop said...

@V: I'm still running even more now that it's summer time.

@anthia: Good to know because I do the same thing with my spritz bottle.

Ms-gg said...

You know, I get the same reaction with aloe vera and a couple of other products I use where my scalp gets really hot as soon as I apply some products. I wonder what that means?

dewdrop said...

@Ms-gg: Really? I thought I was the only one, but don't worry I started a thread on NP to find out why.

The knotty Truth said...

I use it straight no chaser. This is how i use it:
http://journals.fotki.com/cheleski/

The knotty Truth said...

oh, my scalp gets itchy first, then it feels soothing. it's like the follicles are opening their mouth and eating it up, lol.

dewdrop said...

@TKT: Thanks for sharing! That's a cute analogy. :-)