July 03, 2010

New Growth With New Set

New Growth


This is a snap shot of what my new set of locks could potentially look like once they grow out several more inches.  As you can see, I have 1.5 inches of new growth since combining them in March, and even though this length is short it's the beginning of a new journey. Some of my new locs are more solid, cylindrical  and bigger than my old set, and these changes are becoming more evident with each re-ti.  In this row above my ear, the remainder of each loc has been two strand twisted in order to give me an idea of what my lock size could be.  Each lock is a 2HD, but i've twisted these HD's together to become one lock (I went back and un-twisted them after taking this pic).

Freshly Latched / How Many Hours? / What pattern?


Guess what?  Yesterday I completed latching my locs and kept track of how long it took me to work on each section.  I worked on the front and back the day before and then I worked on the middle yesterday. As a DIYer, guess how much time it took me?  Only 4 hours total!!  I can't believe it!  So here is the break down of how many hours it took me to latch my entire head:  Front: 2 hours, Middle: 1.5 hours, Back: 35 min.  I can't tell you how excited I am about this because it makes a world of difference in how much time I save.  As soon as I finished one section I said 'that's it?' and started laughing.   I went from latching in 3 consecutive days a month in the last 3 years to 4 hours a month in the last 4 months.

I know i've been latching every 5-6 weeks using the 4 pt. pattern, but i'm thinking of switching back to 3 pt. again.  I've noticed that several of my locs are still very skinny despite combining them and I would like more expansion.  I'm going to try 3pt. again even though I didn't see any visible changes the last time I switched patterns.  I'll admit that I had difficulty completing a full 4 pt. rotation with some locks when I waited every 5 weeks while others required a rotation and a half.  My hair grows faster in some parts of my head than others, so my tightening schedule varies.  Yesterday was my 4th week and instead of waiting 1-2 more weeks for new growth, I went ahead and latched my entire head using the 3pt. pattern.  I was able to tighten every lock without a problem, so I will continue this routine to see how well it works out for my locks:  Every 4 weeks using 3pt.


Headed Dragons


These are pictures of my 2HD's and 3HD's with 4 months of new growth.  I have them all over my head and I plan to keep and grow them out until i'm ready to snip one of two locs, or both all together.  My re-ti's are still a little tricky because i'm pulling through multiple locs versus one loc through my new growth, but I don't mind because it take me less time to tighten my entire head so I just work with it.

Final Thoughts

I've received so many compliments on my locs from friends and strangers lately because they love how uniform and 'neat' they look.  Please, my locs are only 'neat' after freshly latching them (lol!) and I like my fuzzy roots in between tightenings.  To be completely honest with you, the only reason why my locs look neat in these photos is because i've wrapped my loose strands around each lock as I tightened, but this will only last until my next wash.  Eventually i'll have to go back and use my needle and thread technique to incorporate these loose strands because I refuse to groom them.

I am absolutely loving my new set of locks and I can't believe how quickly they are growing!  I'm patiently waiting with excitement for the day when i'll have a full head of healthy locs, but for now I must be patient as I transition from my old set.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

What three point rotation are you using....is it 3 6 3 12? or 6 9 12?

dewdrop said...

Good question. It depends on how I want the lock to fall or the angle of the lock because my base has squares, rectangles or triangles. Any direction works as long as you keep the pattern. Sometimes I start at 12, or 3, or 9 so while my pattern remains the same, my rotation starting point is different for each lock.

Anonymous said...

What pattern are you using? 4 pt still? Sorry I'm a bit confused...

Nickey said...

Does changing your locking pattern have that much of impact on the loc? I have done a four point for ten years. Would changing to a two point make my locs appear thicker?

Naturally UniQue Sisterlocks said...

Your hair is definitely on the grow Ms.K! :-)

dewdrop said...

@Anon: I was using 4 pt. from the start, but as of two days ago I switched to 3pt. for the reasons stated in my post.

@Nickey: I've read that it does make a difference, but I didn't see this difference with my locks the last time I attempted to switch from 4 pt. to 3 pt. Maybe i'll see some changes this time. I don't know yet, but i'll let you know. Changing to 2pt. will definitely make your locks bigger because more rotations = tighter locs (3pt. or 4pt.) and less rotations = thicker locks (2pt.).

@NUS: Thanks!

Nickey said...

thanks

The knotty Truth said...

congrats, i LOVE how they are developing. yes, they do remind me of mine!

fatfriend said...

Oh yea, that's a good question. I was going to ask the same thing because I'm a DIYer and some of my locks are too skinny too

-AND- I love your blog! I love it. I refer to it all the time as a DIYer. You are so thorough. I appreciate it so much. I love the new size of your locks. I've always admired thicker locks.

scruffdiva said...

Lovely! Keep up the great DIY work... you are inspiring!

ashleyjoy said...

I was trying to look through your old posts to see why you aren't two stranding the ends of your locs. Are you just going to cut one of them off once you gain some length or cut them both off?

I am considering two stranding (three stranding, etc) some of mine together to create larger locs, but maybe this is a bad idea. I'm wondering what brought you to leaving them as two headed.

The new size looks amazing by the way! Loving it!

Euphoria's Sisterlocks said...

I love the look of what your locks could possibly look like once they mature, have you ever thought to keep your 2 hds twisted & sew them together to achieve the look your going for

Ja'mum said...

Thanks for this comment: "I like my fuzzy roots in between tightenings. " I've been struggling with fuzzy roots for years but I feel so much better reading what you've said.

dewdrop said...

@TKT: Thanks! Your locs are gorgeous!

@fatfriend: You are so kind and thank you for being so supportive and encouraging!

@scruffdiva: Thanks!

@ashleyjoy: My plan is to grow out my new set while I keep my 2HD's. Once i've reached my desired length then I plan to snip both locs off or just one if I get tired of my 2HD's. I've kept my 2HD's for now to make my transition a lot smoother and less obvious. Also, my new set is larger than my old set so the roots will remain thicker while my ends are stringy...not cute. I also enjoy my volume. If you like the new size now then just wait for my next update! I have better pictures of my progress.

@Euphoria: I have and tried 2st them, but it created problems with my re-ti's because some of my locks are too thick to pull through my new growth, so right now I pull one lock through at a time. I must do this if I plan to keep my 2HDs right now or else it's like trying to pull a sharpie marker through a hole the size of a paperclip.

@Ja'mum: No problem. Fuzziness is great because I know that my hair is locking and it provides a little insulation when my head gets cold. Now if they get out of control where i'm snagging and popping strands everywhere, then i'll use my needle and thread method to incorporate them into my locs and keep going. :-)

Ree-C said...

Hi there. When you say that you wrap the loose strands...do you use products for that?

Your hair looks great. Over the years I've had to combine locks because of thinning roots. I've kept my "2HD". They don't bother me, so I just kept them. Thanks for stopping by. I really think I need to update LOL. Take care.

Shauna Renee said...

I love how precise you are! lol! They are looking great!!

dewdrop said...

@Ree-C: Thanks! I've been tracking your journey since the start and I remember checking out your blog like every other day because your locks are so lovely. I don't use any products to wrap my loose strands. I'll just wrap them whether wet or dry, but I don't expect them to stay because they still loosen up after each wash unless I use my needle and thread method.

@S.R.: Thanks! Wait until you see my next update because then you'll have a better view! :-)

Anonymous said...

Your a very patient DIYER, the hair is looking good. I never remember what the different rotations mean. Mine is done on a 9,12,9,6 or W,N,W,S pattern. Do higher rotations mean thicker or thinner locs?

Denny

dewdrop said...

Thanks Denny. More rotations (like 4 pt.) create a tighter lock/thinner and fewer rotations (like 2 or 3 pt.)create a fuller/thicker lock.

Gerrylocs said...

Hi dewdrop...

I've been following ur blog with interest.

I'm a South African with new gerrylocs (microlocs with extensions)...the aim is to maintain and grow my own microslocs since no one does sisterlocs in SA.

I will be retightning my locs for the 1st in a few weeks and I'm scared of messing them up.

Any pointers on DIY that worked for you? thanks...:)

www.gerrylocs.blogspot.com

dewdrop said...

@Gerry: I posted helpful information on your blog. :-) For the most part don't be afraid to take control of your own maintenance. Take your time re-tightening your new growth a few sections as a time to avoid any errors, but if you've made a mistake then it's no big deal. Try to correct it and move on.

Allecia said...

Nice work! It must be nice to be able to sit down and complete your retightening in 4 hours (and to know you did it yourself!)

dewdrop said...

Thank you Allecia. Exactly! I actually don't tighten all my locs in one sitting because I know my arms will get tired, but I still break up my session by doing my locs 1 hr. here and another there. It feels great to get them done so quickly!!

Naturally Sophia said...

I like them big (ger); I liked them small. I like them all!

Your locks can do no wrong. I appreciate your constant updates and detailed posts.

Docs Locs said...

@Sophia - Ashe! and ditto :o)
Y'all are still two of my favs!
Peace,
DL

dewdrop said...

Thanks! It's fun to experiment with locs of different sizes.