August 23, 2010

Fuzz Is Forever!

Let me begin by saying that fuzz is inevitable.  My hair is nappy, fuzzy, coily, kinky and has a mind of it's own!  Don't think for one minute that my locs stay manicured even though it appears that way in my photos, lol!  The truth is I like my fuzz, but every now and then I like to change things up a bit and have my locs look manicured, even if it's just for a week (because that's how long it lasts).  There are times when I don't care and other times when I start snagging stray hairs from neighboring locs because they have grown out so long.  This can create a problem sometimes, so that's when I use my needle and thread method to incorporate these strays into other locs.  I just focus on the front of my head and  leave the back alone.  It's a lot of work and takes time, but the end result is great.  Whenever I diminish the fuzz it only lasts until my next wash which is usually a week later, so my locs end up looking like they did before .  That's why I don't do it too often, but sometimes it helps to do it so that I have enough clearance to latch without my tool getting caught in stray hairs. 

My roots are healthy and strong!  I enjoy viewing images of my locs up close because they remind me of my hair goals and how far i've come in reaching them.  You can definitely see how much larger each locs is and how much I have strengthened my root bed.  What's even better is that i'm still enjoying that fact that it only takes me 4 hours to lath my new growth.


11 comments:

Thandi said...

Still lovin' your locs and how informative your blog is.

Anonymous said...

Dewdrop - I can't TELL you how exactly like your hair, and journey, my hair and journey is!!! Too funny. I combined my 463 Sisterlocks into about 340-ish and I now use the Nappylocks tool - it's been the easiest for me. I also have DENSITY, and also the fuzzies and hair that likes to spring up here and there. I've done the needle and thread too, but like you say it only lasts until the next wash. I will try to update my blog (it's been over a year) so people can see another Dewdrop! Thanks so much for your blog - it is so helpful.

LadyButterfly said...

YOUR LOCKS, KALIA-DEWDROP ARE:
ALWAYS Beautiful,
ALWAYS Neat, &
ALWAYS True!
Thanks for your timeless blog and extremely helpful,inspiring info.

dewdrop said...

Thandi: Thank you!

Anon: You sound like my twin! I would like to see your blog. Do you have a link or name?

LB: You're welcome and thank you for the creative compliment. It's here for you!

Gerrylocs said...

absolutely lovely...I'm one of those strange souls who actually love the fuzz :)

Cadarious said...

Does the needle and thread method prolongs the locking process


cadarious.blogspot.com

dewdrop said...

That's awesome Gerry.

@Cadarious: Not that I know of. I used this method just because I used to groom my locs with scissors which is not a good idea since it can weaken your locs over time (if you don't know what you're doing). I believe that it's safer to just use the needle and thread method to hide stray hairs instead of snip them away because at least your loc will remain intact. I would suggest doing this only when your locs are mature because you need the fuzz during your baby/teenage stage in order for them to mesh.

Naturally UniQue said...

Hi Kalia, I also deal with the fuzziness. I had a retight 2 wks ago and you would never know it because my hair is fuzzy again. During my last retight my consultant said I had "new hair" growing out of my scalp and this is what's causing the fuzziness? Is this similar to what your going through?

dewdrop said...

Hi N.U., yes and no. Yes because my hair is dense and i'll notice new growth in between the spaces of my locs, but not every single time I tighten my hair. No because my hair is naturally very fuzzy and will remain this way no matter what I do. My tightly coiled strands are a contributing factor as to why they won't stay in place, and they just want to bend and curl regardless of my attempt to tame them.

echidiime onwudinjo said...

This comment is coming late - but what exactly did you do to strengthen your root bed?

dewdrop said...

@EO: No worries. :-) I have tried a few things: 1) An egg-mayo protein treatment, 2) Stayed hydrated by drinking lots of water, 3) Used products that worked with my hair texture, 4) Avoided over-latching, 5) Maintained a healthy diet. Hope this helps.