October 05, 2010

New Loc Tool

 Dewdrop, what on earth happened?
Yes, it's true that my loc tool broke.  Now I did not break it, but my hair did.  My hair has broken so many things like clips, hair ties, combs, my blow dryer, pins and anything that touched it.  So why did I think for one minute that it wouldn't break my loc tool?  I've had this tool for several years and it was pretty sturdy for a long time.  Here is what happened:  I was latching the new growth of one lock that was a little too big for my latch hook and all I remember is inserting my tool, and pulling it out without the little latch intact.  The latch was stuck in my loc and I had to search for it!  I was in the middle of tightening my front locs and thought, 'Oh no, what do I do now? Now i'll have to buy another latch hook, but wait, I can just use a paper clip!'  That's exactly what I did.  I used the biggest paper clip I could find, unraveled it, bent it in half to form a loop and twisted the ends.  Then I used some kind of masking tape to wrap the ends to give me a good grip.

I picked up where I left off and let me tell you, I absolutely enjoy my new loc tool!!  Ironically it's much easier to use then my latch hook and works kind of like a large NL tool except when I have to insert the loc every time I rotate.  Aside from that it works great!  Honestly, I experienced more snagging with my latch hook, but none with my paper clip tool.  The best part is that I can adjust the loop size based on how large or small my locs are (squeeze it more or expand it).  This is great!  I'm happy, my locs are happy and that's all that matters.

9 comments:

rose8889 said...

Necessity is the mother of invention (or some such)!

:D

rmcandlelight said...

This post made me laugh!!! Paper clips are much cheaper too!! Hey, what happened to your NL tool? Is it too small for your locks now?
I wish I had the nerve to tighten my own locks, don't know why I am so afraid :)

Please stop by my blog and follow for support okay
http://ohmysisterlocks.blogspot.com

3girlsmomma said...

Girl, out of necessity I too have fashioned a similar tool using a hair pin... So I hear and feel ya' on doin' whatcha gotta do to get the job done.

dewdrop said...

@rmcandlelight: (For some reason I have difficulty posting on your blog and none of my comments are getting through). Yes, my NL tool is too small for my locs now. Don't be afraid to tighten your locs. Just remember that fear is in your mind and it shrinks the more you confront it.

Felicia said...

What I love most about you and your blog is your courage to "do YOU". Whatever is best for YOUR locks. You pave your own path and make your way to do what works for you. That encourages me!!

rmcandlelight said...

Oh, I love your words and have to confront my fears ;)

Blogger has been messing up big time. Looks like they did some corrections. Please try again and thx.

marqueslorenzo said...

mine looks better!

MyDuckie said...

I've been using something like that for a number of years. I made one out of copper wire and used a pen grip and rubber band to protect your hand from the hard wire.

Dewdrop said...

@MyDuckie: That's a great tip and thanks for sharing! I'll definitely keep this in mind.