May 23, 2011

Hot Oil Treatment: Honey & Olive Oil

A few weeks ago I watched a video about using honey and olive oil as a hot oil treatment.  Keep in mind i've never done this on my locs before.  I've tried it on my loose napps I think once but that was years ago, so I don't recall what happened.

Out of curiosity I decided to give this a try and didn't exactly measure how much of each to use.  I just poured maybe 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil in a bowl and added maybe 2 tablespoons of honey.  Warmed the bowl in the microwave for 20 seconds (to melt the honey some more), mixed it up and slathered it all over my roots while it was still very warm.  I covered my head with a bag and left it on for 2 hours (I meant to keep it on for 30 min., but other factors interrupted my session) and rinsed it out.  Then I shampooed and towel dried my hair.

Results:  My hair still felt a little oily but I didn't mind, and honestly I don't know what changed.  My hair didn't feel any different than before I started and i'm not exactly sure what this is supposed to achieve since I didn't notice a change.  Oh well.  Will I try this again?  I don't know, but at least I made an attempt.

4 comments:

LadyButterfly said...

I just love the info that you provide us in each of your segments. Although you may not know the benifits of this experience, you can assure you saved someone a lot of time and curiosity. It's also good to read that you warmed the honey FIRST. It would be a solid disaster if someone had honey stuck in their locks. Thanks again for always sharing your sincere trials and experiences with us.

Thandi said...

LOL at your last sentence! The beauty of experimentation with nothing to lose!

Afro.logy said...

I have many of friends that use just honey to re-twist or to clean their hair. You simply just put the honey on the hair or locs and let it sit and then wash it out. It is suppose to add shine and soften the hair as well. I have never tried it with the olive oil but that could be too much oil. Oh well at least you tried it.

M said...

Hi Dewdrop,
I use honey in a bodycrub and the benefits are purported to be:

"The honey is both anti-bacterial and anti-microbial and prevents the scrub from going bad quickly. Honey also helps tissue to heal and prevents scarring. As a humectant, honey smoothes the skin and makes it supple by attracting moisture from the air."

I'm pretty sure that some of these benefits apply to the hair as well. I wouldn't give up on honey, but I would probably change the proportions so that I mix in more honey and less olive oil. I have a feeling that too much of an oily coating from the oo might defeat the purpose of the honey.

Have you tried molasses on your hair?

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Cheers,
M