June 28, 2011

8 weeks of new growth



Several weeks ago I tightened the front and back of my locs but I delayed tightening the middle because my schedule was full at the time and I just didn't get around to doing it.  After the first four weeks I had completely forgot about the middle and only remembered whenever I washed my locs, lol!  A few more weeks passed and when I checked my calendar, sure enough it was exactly 8 weeks since I had last tightened the middle.  I knew that I could not let another week go by because the last time I waited this long, bubbles/bumps formed at the root and I couldn't do anything about it. 

So I finally set aside some time to start latching the middle and noticed that a few of my locs had formed bubbles already which I couldn't undo.  I wasn't surprised though because I know how quickly my hair can lock and what will happen if i'm not consistent with my latching schedule.   I was able to fit maybe 1-2 fingers through my new growth and I thought 'whoa, I really need to tighten my roots now'. LOL!
____________________________________________________________

Another Shampoo

It was time for me to purchase my favorite shampoo but I'd decided to use some of my left over black soap for a while before doing so.  I like how well Black soap works for me, but it can be a little drying and I wanted my other shampoo.  So when I went to the market apparently they had increased the price of my favorite shampoo by a lot, and I wasn't thrilled.  I looked for an alternative and came across this shampoo that was several dollars less and would most likely do the same thing.  It's Herbal Mint Shampoo and it does not contain parabens, Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate or an artificial fragrance, and it's just as effective.  The good thing is that it smells great and works just as effectively as my other shampoo but doesn't leave my hair dry.  The down side is that it's a bit on the watery side and not super sudsy, but it does work pretty well.  This is actually better than my other shampoo for when I need to do a quick rinse of my locs after a good workout.

4 comments:

Naturaleza said...

I've actually started an 8 week freeform challenge. I feel kinda inspired to see what/how your locs look after a similar length of time. I will try to hold out LOL!

Thanks for the photos.

LotusDoll said...

Wow - lots of new growth!

I also self tighten but I use no tools - just my fingers taking the hair through north, east, south and west of the new growth and repeating as necessary. I've begun using the WEN products and have noticed my hair being very soft and springy after coloring it a year ago. It was a permanent color that hardened and damaged my hair so much that I think I'll steer clear of that for a while. I Love You and this fabulous site!

dewdrop said...

@Naturaleza: How exciting! Definitely let me know how it turns out for you.

@LotusDoll: You are so awesome! I'd like to use my fingers too, but it's hard to get my fat ends through the root sometimes so i'll need to use my tool in this case. Permanent color can be damaging and it's good that you're giving your hair a break from it. Thanks for the compliment!

Terez said...

That's pretty cool to see all that new growth! Your hair grows fast, girl. I cannot wait to reach the DIY plateau.