March 29, 2012

Bigger Locs!!

Bigger Locs!!
When? On March 21, 2012 I made the decision to combine all my locs again to make them even bigger. Surprised? See, the week prior I had mixed feelings about my locs as you can tell based on my 'Loc Thoughts' posting. I wasn't sure whether to take them down, combine them, cut them into a short bob or what. All I knew was that I wanted to do something different with my locs since i've had them for 5 years now. I thought that wearing more updo's would help, but I still felt like that wasn't enough. After reviewing my options and weighing the pros and cons, I decided to just combine them.
Why? My desires had changed and bigger locs became more appealing to me. Some of my locs were still too skinny for my liking after two years of growing out my new set. I've worn small locs for several years and I really wanted a change, so bigger locs was the way to go. I also felt the need to reduce my re-tightening time now since my locs had grown longer.
How? I combined two locs at the base by either pulling one loc through the new growth of the other, or by pulling two locs through the new growth. I plan to leave them in as 2HD's rather than twist or sew the shaft together. I don't remember how long this process took me, but it was relatively short. First, I decided which locs to combine based on their proximity to one another, then I two strand twisted all them. Once I was satisfied with the layout, I proceeded to combine them one section at a time by starting in the back and working my way to the front. All my parts are pretty much uneven with interesting shapes, lol, but that's okay! Once I was done then I untwisted my 2HD's.
Maintenance? Good question. I'm guessing that I might go longer between my re-tightenings so that i'll have enough new growth for each re-ti session. I would like to continue with my 3pt. pattern as long as I have enough new growth to do so. If not then I might have to switch to 2pt. For right now I still plan to use my paper clip tool since I can adjust the size of the opening.  Latching keeps my locs tight, so i'm not expecting major expansion and volume, but at least it'll take me less time to do my hair.

How Many? My loc count is down to 113.  At this stage of my journey, my focus is on the health of my hair and scalp. Once I finished combining my locs, I immediately noticed a change in how I felt. 

Feelings? I am so happy! :-D I feel so empowered and i'm excited about this journey. I had tiny SLs installed with the intention of making them bigger in the future. From SLs, to DIY microlocs, to TLs, to even bigger TLs.  Once again, I still plan to grow out my locs, cut off the old set, keep the new set as 2HD's and grow out my bigger set. Now feels like the right time to do this since i've started a new season of my life. I will be sure to update you with my progress. Lock on!  :-)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I too had sisterlocks and last weekend decided to combine mine using about 3-4 locks to create 1. It felt good, scary but exciting. Its just funny that you've done something similar. I will keep watching to see how you progress. Laura UK

Shauna990 said...

This is soooo exciting!!! I've been really liking the look of thicker locs as well. I'm ok with the size they are at for now but I wouldn't be surprised if I combined more as well one day. I'm so excited to see your journey!!! ~GAN~

B said...

Some times you need a change so I totally get it. I started with almost 200 locs but now have less than 100 and couldn't be happier. Don't you just love the changes that can happen in this journey?

dewdrop said...

@Anon: You're right! It does feel good, a little scary but exciting all at the same time.

@Shauna: You're so sweet! Thanks for your support, it means a lot. :-D

@B: I'm so glad you do. I absolutely agree with you and I welcome these changes too.

Cheleski aka KnottyAuthor Kicken The Truth said...

i am 2 hyped to witness this new journey. i have decided to free form. i will only tighten my edges. i will give it a year, then assess what to do next. If i want to cut them, i will have plenty of new growth at that point, so it won't be so intimidating! cheers to you!!!!

dewdrop said...

@CKA: Congrats to you on free forming! I am excited about witnessing your journey as well. :-)

Afrolady said...

I am sure that whatever you do with your locs they will look breathtaking!!!!! I can't wait to see the progress of your big and lush locs!!!!!!

Naturally UniQue Sisterlocks said...

Looking good Dewdrop! I'm so happy you decided to combine your locks instead of taking them down. I just retightened my hair last night yes all 324 of them and I too was thinking about combining them the next time I RT because they look too thin and I also want to reduce the RT time. I can't wait to see how your locks will look when they grow out from this combining :-)

dewdrop said...

@Afrolady: You're so sweet and so encouraging. Thank you!

@NUS: Thanks! Yes, I completely understand how you feel, and sometimes we will reach a point when we consider making some changes in our routine for the sake of what's needed in our journey. I will definitely keep track of your journey. :-)

YASU said...

Kalia!! I am SOOO excited for you! I am so with you! I combined my locs last year and I thought of going even thicker! I ALMOST cut mine off, but I am now encouraged to combine again as you have. What an inspiration!!!! I admire you for doing what you feel is best, and you do it so very well!

R. Katya said...

Greetings Dewdrop! :)
I just updated my blog, and I combined some of my locks. I now have 236, down from 316. I like the way the smaller locks look, but I am also happy with my new choice.
I hope you will enjoy your larger locks.
Take care~

Sister Locked Bajan said...

I'm excited for you and look forward to how this change will look. You are truly inspirational in your writings and videos. Keep up the good work.

dewdrop said...

@Yasu: Thank you so much! I checked out your updates/website and you have some fabulous information on there, so keep it coming! :-)

@R.Katya: Hi!! I'm glad that you have found a happy medium. :-)

@SLB: Thank you! You're so kind. :-D

Sheri said...

Congrats on your loc decision! Your locs are beautiful either way. Wasn't it you who recently said you were going to keep one of your locs loose? I figured you were ready for a hair change of some sort.

dewdrop said...

@Sheri: Thanks! Yes, I was the one that had planned to keep one of my locs loose. Well i've braided it up and it's on it's way to locking again. :-)

anthia-ofo said...

Wow, this is so inspiring. I like! I have combined nearly half my locs to get them a little thicker. The thought of going thicker and free-forming is very attractive...

Fuesha said...

I love it!