March 22, 2012

Linty Loc Take Down

I had two locs near the nape of my neck that were full of lint. Whenever I wore an updo, they were the only locs that visibly showed how much lint was embedded. In these pictures you can't see it that well, but up close you can. I could see the contrast of the light colored lint against my naturally dark colored locs. This never bothered me before, but the longer they grew the more they accumulated lint. I've done everything to cover them (dye, sharper marker, pick them out with tweezers, ACV rinse, etc.), but it had reached a point where I ran out of options. In the end, I decided to pick out one of these two linty locs.

(Left) This is one of the locs before the take down. (Right) This is the same loc after my take down. I used water, conditioner and a push pin to pick out this loc. The process took one hour, and even though I had shed 5 years worth of hair strands my hair remained nearly the same length (just an inch shorter).

(Left) This is my hair semi-stretched out after the take down. (Right) I spritzed it with water and made a comb coil. I evaluated the health of my hair and determined that it was strong and healthy, but just a little dry. They were semi-soft since I had used some conditioner during my take down. 

I think I will continue to use conditioner at this stage, because my hair seems kind of dry. Since my locs are mature then I feel that it's okay for me to use conditioner along with my shampoo. I drink plenty of water and maintain a healthy diet, but I think I should focus on moisturizing my hair even more.  I plan to leave this area loose for a while so that I can play with it and show my friends what my hair looks like un-loc'd. I haven't taken down the second linty loc, but I should since the lint is more noticeable now.

3 comments:

Cheleski aka KnottyAuthor Kicken The Truth said...

Umm yup, that's why most of my blog posts over the past year have been about build up. the down side of long locks is they are lent catchers and smell filters to the world. Ive done the dreaded sharpe as well as picking the heck out of them, opening and recently rebraided them up. i think most cover this up with a good hair dye job. sad that there aren't many places to go for help-but Paul Mitchell 3 was suggested to me by Nekea(on fotki) and that stuff is the TRUTH!. Definitely get some and clarify for yourself. I also only use white vinegar now, not ACV. One day I hope to have more time to write about it. Im doing my book things and back working on my 2nd masters (MHA) as well, so it's hectic. I'm trying to keep up and just want the simplicity that my locks afforded me the first 3 years back....

dewdrop said...

@CKA: Thanks for the suggestion. Congrats to you on doing your book things and moving forward with your education. I totally understand, because i'm also working on my 2nd masters as well and trying to find the time for my hair updates. I feel that by simplifying my hair routine/maintenance then I'll be able to focus on my studies.

Gerrylocs said...

i guess I might have to resort to this as well.. been really struggling..I ACV rinse every week now and some of the locks are just not co-operating...