November 06, 2013

Short-lived Braidlock Journey

I have ended my DIY braid lock journey (June to October 2013) and took down the remainder of my locs as of last week.  Initially I installed 530+ micro braids and kept them in for 5 months before I made this decision.  Many of them had unraveled and their formation changed, which left me feeling uncomfortable with how they were developing.  Since I didn't feel at peace with continuing the process I took them down.  I'm back to wear my hair loose once again and I feel good about my decision.  This really is a hair journey, and I'm glad that I can share my experience. :-)

The take down process was simple since my locs were plaited, semi-unraveled and had not meshed yet.  I used a push pin and water, and I used my shea butter/coconut oil mix to moisturize my hair as I took down and re-twisted each braid.  Once again I wore a bun and my hair ties to mask the transition.  I was amazed by how much new growth I had over a 5 month period, as well as the health of my hair.  So now I'm back to wearing my puff again and I feel good.

7 comments:

EmpressNatiLocs said...

I love following your hair journey. At the end of the day you have to be happy with your hair and if it wasn't developing how you wanted it to, why not take it down and start a new journey. Such an inspiration girl!

dovedarby said...

Totally understand why you would make that call. Good thing it was early enough to detect. Enjoy following you and your journey!

Anonymous said...

Do you believe that the unraveling had anything to do with the Senegalese twists?

Dewdrop said...

@Empres: Thank you. Thanks so much for your encouragement!

@dovedarby: I know! I think it would have been challenging if I waited until later to take them down.

@Anon: The unraveling did not have anything to do with the Sene twists. In fact, these twists kept my BLs in place. After I took them down, washed my hair and wore it was when the unraveling became more apparent. Thanks for asking.

Angela Drake said...

I've been watching your videos on youtube and I must say that I love all of them. You as well as another lady(I think her name is msfullroller) inspired me to restart my locs as braids..it's great that you detected the unraveling before you were far off into your journey. Hopefully you'll come back to the braids but either way, your hair is beautiful!:)

Nancy said...

This is a shout out all the way from Kenya. I have the most beautiful locks. Thanks to your tutorial on YouTube, I figured out how to tighten them with a latchhook. Love the freedom and enjoying the 6 year journey so far. Thanks

Dewdrop said...

@Angela: Thank you!

@Nancy: You're welcome! I'm so glad that you have been able to figure out how to latchhook your beautiful locks! Congrats to you in reaching your 6 year mark. Enjoy your journey and blessings to you!